WinXP Oembios Mod with DSDT

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by ziddey, May 21, 2007.

1. ziddey

ziddey MDL Novice

May 21, 2007
    This is a similar idea to how SLIC modification is being done for SLP Vista. I hope people still have enough interest in this older OS to start something up. I have access to a Dell Inspiron 6000 and can provide a dump of the DSDT. Also, I have a royalty xp pro disc, and can extract the oembios files.

I suspect that XP uses DSDT since it's the only table that has a Creator ID by MSFT.

Anyone have any ideas where to start? I imagine it isn't as simple as just modifying the OEM ID and OEM Table ID's. When I scanned through the DSDT table, I found a few entries on the different versions of Windows.

Hope this goes somewhere :) Any biters?

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ziddey

ziddey MDL Novice

May 21, 2007
    Thanks for the reply. For some reason I didn't get email notified and completely forgot about this thread until now. I read the microsoft technet describing the 3 keys. However, I think they're just public ones given for generic use if the original dedicated slp key is lost (eg, user didn't use jellybeans before hand). I am almost completely positive that my dell uses slp (has msft descriptors in dsdt, which "coincidentally" also causes issues in linux).

And if I use my dell xp cd to install in a nondell (or I suppose dell without the proper slp), it will prompt for activation just the same. But on a bunch of dells, it'll activate no problem.

And I recently downloaded an hp xp slp to repair a friend's machine, and it too had a specific key.

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I almost forgot this thread too:)

At vistafans.com a chinese forum they broke slp 1.0 for xp activation already.

It's nothing with ACPI tables. It's something about special OEM entries at DMI area.

I haven't had the motivation to get this knowledge to break slp 1.0 by myself.

Since there are VLK's:rolleyes:
    If you are interested: Check youself..google translated...:rolleyes:

Yen

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ziddey

ziddey MDL Novice

May 21, 2007
    cool, guess i'll have to try and look around. i looked around the vistafans site, but i'm completely illiterate so it's a little unfortunate. i managed to feel my way around to get an account though

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Zhaolinags tool is also able to inject slp 1.0 activation into AMI bioses. Have a look there is a extra topic about that tool already.

Yen

7. ziddey

ziddey MDL Novice

May 21, 2007
    I saw that. Thanks for the reminder. Won't help currently with my award bios, but it definitely makes buying a p5k extremely favorable unless the x38 is really worth getting for nonsli usage

8. jeffnoone

jeffnoone MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2007
    So does anyone know the steps to do get XP activated?

Is it:

1. Be lucky enough to have a MB with AMI BIOS

2. Use the XP feature in the superstatic tool to mod an original BIOS - ?can just XP mod be set in superstatic tool- it seems to force you to add both Vista and XP. The problem in that for me is that the more you add, the more likely to be an error

3. Use a manufactured matched OEM XP SP2 install disk to install fresh version of XP SP2 - for example, am I correct in saying that with a Dell mod using superstatic tool and with a Dell OEM XP SP2 install disk, that XP will automatically activate itself without having to add a key (which I assume is buillt into the Dell install CD)

4. ?Finished

9. ziddey

ziddey MDL Novice

May 21, 2007
    Yen or anyone else, could you explain or possibly provide a link to somewhere that explains how Zhaoliang's program does the slp1 for xp for ami bioses? I'd love to do the same for award bios. video overlay in vista isn't currently supported for 7900 and video performance is extremely sluggish. Being able to use xp or 2003 would be spectacular. Not really a huge deal since I use 2k3 trial currently and never have an installation last more than the 180 days it provides anyway, but figure having oem would still come in extremely handy

I see to use dmicfg, but am unable to comprehend beyond that

10. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    For a AWARD bios just use a DMI Editor...no extra steps required

11. sgufa

sgufa MDL Novice

May 30, 2007
    where to find oem strings to add in dmi?

12. Chainsore

Chainsore MDL Novice

May 19, 2007
    If I use a superstatic tool modded ASUS BIOS, do I need to install XP from an OEM CD or can I use my existing XP CD and just use the corresponding OEM key? If I do need an OEM CD, does it have to be ASUS or any generic OEM disk?

13. ziddey

ziddey MDL Novice

May 21, 2007
    I saw a few guides, specifically on bios.net.cn. So I got dmicfg and added "Dell Inc." to system->manufacturer name, which is the string I found on my dell inspiron 6000. Saved the changes and made a disc based off my dell install disc and went to town.

Installed, but still said 30 days to activate.

So I changed 6.00 PG in bios->bios version to "Dell Inc." as well.

Those were the two locations the bios.net.cn guides showed. When that didn't work, I changed/added "Dell Inc." to baseboard->manufacturer and chassis->manufacturer.

Still when I booted to windows, it's 30 days to activate. Was I only given one chance to get around the 30 day period?

14. ziddey

ziddey MDL Novice

May 21, 2007
    Brilliant!

I wasn't sure if I needed "Hewlett-Packard" or "HP PAVILION" so I put both. Not showing 30 days left to activate. Removed HP PAVILION and it's still holding after 2 reboots.

Thanks!