WinZip or WinRar?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by mydigitallifeforum, Aug 22, 2010.

1. mydigitallifeforum

mydigitallifeforum MDL Junior Member

Apr 25, 2010
    I'm currently using WinRAR 3.93
    I'm thinking about installing WinZip 14.5

Would the 2 cause conflict?
    Anyone here who are famililar with WinRAR and/or WinZip?

2. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    Idem, WinRar... just for the sake its simplicity (and it opens all!)

3. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    I actually use both and I dont have any conflicts actually. The reason I use both is I use winrar for general extractions but I prefer winzip cause I can make smaller archives compared to winzip. Mind you I use winrar 3.93 and winzip pro 14.5. I hope this helps. BTW winzip got a new GUI for win7 that I think might be easier. Unfortunately that GUI only affects win7 though.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. mrthuvi

mrthuvi MDL Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Same here, i'm using both. I got winzip for the nice gui to open archives but it has problem opening files with incorrect extension. I have notified Winzip's developers and they agreed to consider fixing it with the next update but it's been months and no update has been made.

5. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    WinRAR FTW d00d Winzip is not even near the simplicity and the interface of WinRAR.

I love how I just right click on a RAR or ZIP file and choose extract here or extract to DIRNAME. Lovely and simple

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. mydigitallifeforum

mydigitallifeforum MDL Junior Member

Apr 25, 2010

Does WinZip add anything to the sub menu of a right mouse click?
    With WinRAR, when you do a right mouse click, it displays several RAR options on the sub menu.

7. vivek.krishnan

vivek.krishnan MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2009
    Give me WinRAR anyday over WinZip. Also i feel WinRAR is faster of the two.

Plus i have a free copy of WinRAR 3.80; +1 for WinRAR.

Also using 7-Zip on another computer.

8. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    @mydigitallifeforum: Yes it does add the right-click context menues for extraction and creation.

@All: Yes, winrar has an easier GUI compared to winzip but I have actually found that through my own self tests that winzip not only made a smaller archive but did it faster then winrar. This was done on compressing the adobe cs5 msi and the host blocker and a couple other things on my rig.

9. danny3456

danny3456 MDL Member

Aug 22, 2009
    7zip is free while winrar needs to be paid, both do the similar jobs, why pirating if you have a choice???

10. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    winrar is free in the sense they don't nullify your app if you don't pay ;)

11. mrthuvi

mrthuvi MDL Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Wow wow. Who said anything about pirating here? o_O

12. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    7Zip cannot create RAR archives. Although 7z claims highest compression ratios, it's at the expense of speed, and RAR also has the ability to create redundancy information as well.

I think 7-zip is the best free archiver, grat if you're mainly concerned with unarchiving, and creating ZIPs (or 7z) and WinRAR is the best if you're paying. Fortunately the last laptop I bought came preinstalled with a full version of WinRAR.

13. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    WinRAR was the first piece of software i got a legitimate license for, after all it is something i use on a daily basis so eventually worth the small price to pay

14. kdo2milger

kdo2milger MDL Senior Member

Jan 5, 2010
    #15 kdo2milger, Aug 22, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
    i use to use winzip yrs ago...then switched to winrar and i thought it was the next best thing aside from sliced bread...

then anemeros turned me on to 7z at the beginning of the year and i havent looked back...

i hope 7z stays free, i like not having to worry about the 40 day trial that winrar limits its users to.

if you prefer winrar over winzip as i do then you may like 7z better ;) give it a shot.

15. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I use 7-Zip all the time as it's probably got the best compression ratios and seems quicker at unpacking rar files than WinRAR itself. Not to mention it's less hassle with it being free too.

16. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I would say that website isn't close to accurate in terms of compression ratio and speed and I'm sure tests could be made to prove it ;)

17. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    I like 7-zip but it needs a better icon...lol

18. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    If you use something on a daily basis, which cmon lets face it, can you let a day go by without the need for archived files? So its worth it investing in the best archiving software. ie. WinRAR FTW