Wiping the HDD after adding an SSD....

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Hannibal Lecter, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Hannibal Lecter

Hannibal Lecter MDL Senior Member

May 12, 2010
    #1 Hannibal Lecter, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
    After adding an SSD to this computer and installing 7 Ulti, I want to completely wipe the old HDD, and only use it as storage.

Which is the best (simplest) way to wipe the HDD. I remember on my old HP notebook (with XP) it was possible, to boot from the HDD an enter the computer setup via F10, and let the HDD re-format itself completely....

2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Boot from SSD, right click HDD > Format

Or

Boot from SSD > Disk Management > Delete all partitions on HDD > Create new Primary partition

3. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Hmm... well, different points of view. But I recommended that program as per request: "Wipe my HDD".:cool:

5. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    hm.:g: wiping a disk is 5 minutes work.. i have seen ict guys drilling a hole in it. but in my experience i always find myself scratching my head.. where the f* did i put that software... are you sure? it will be on your old hdd...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    #7 Hannibal Lecter, Sep 4, 2014
    (OP)
    Thanks, but my cleaning lady comes once a week, and she wipes my computer too.
    I will remind her not to forget to also wipe the HDD.. :eek:

7. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    #8 Hannibal Lecter, Sep 4, 2014
    (OP)
    I may be far too old to ever be really good at computers, but I am learning to recognize the answer that I was looking for, when I see it... :clap:

Thank You... :)

8. TrevorLaneRay

TrevorLaneRay MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2014
    CCleaner best for disk wipiing?

MrMagic's solution will work great 95% of the time, for those that aren't concerned about security. (Personal computers not used by anyone but you at home.)
    IMO, the simplest solution I've seen that actually erases the drive is built into CCleaner. (100% freeware, have used for years, highly recommend.)
    Download only from the official site, ccleaner.c0m and/or piriform.c0m/ccleaner (both are the same site).
    (Sorry I can't make an easy link; don't have 20 posts. Kinda a lurker.)

Under Tools > Drive Wiper is the ability to actually wipe (erase) your hard drive of all data.
    It gives you the option to wipe only the free space as well (useful on a drive you're currently using).
    You can do a quick, 1-pass erase that will easily thwart any hackers that aren't in possession of an electron microscope and advanced surface scanning equipment.
    For purposes of plausible deniability for government extortion, you can also choose to use a 3, 7, or insane 35-pass erase.

9. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    #10 Hannibal Lecter, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    (OP)
    Thanks.

I always have ccleaner installed....

What I was hoping for, was a solution that lets me wipe all of the HDD except for a few selected folders.
    I will just have to delete and re-install....

And of course, ccleaner only wipes the spaces that already are empty! And that is not what I need...

10. Polyester

Polyester MDL Junior Member

Sep 4, 2014
    Why don't try to press "delete".Then, go to BIOS setting to select the SSD for booting the windows?

11. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    The first version does not work, their no "Format" in the right click menu. But the second one works well...

Thank you

12. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    I have been using ccleaner for at least 10 years now, but it never had a "Wipe the whole disc" option.
    It only overwrites the empty spaces...

13. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    #14 murphy78, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    If you just want to re-partition (quick format) the thing, you can boot from a windows dvd and shift-f10 to bring up admin prompt.
    Then run:
    Code:
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk 1
    clean
    create partition primary
    format fs=ntfs quick label="Some drive label here"
    assign
    Note that your 2nd drive (rotational one) may not be disk 1. You need to look for the one that matches the size of the disk you intend to erase.
    I don't know how the partitioning would factor into it if your disk is GPT partitioned and/or larger than 2TB.
    It's probably something a simple google search could solve tho.

14. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    #15 Hannibal Lecter, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    Thanks.

I already did re-format the old HDD using Disc Management, works quite simple and easy....

I will basically use the disc as an archive and there seems to be a possibility to use the Win 7 Library system to make that disc directly and easily accessible:

"There are numerous ways to tell your new Windows installation that your documents and other files are on a different hard disk, but with Windows 7, the most elegant method is to use its libraries feature.
    Create a folder on your hard disk (for example e:/docs). Right-click the folder in Explorer, scroll down to the Include in library option, then choose the Documents library from the list. Then copy any documents from the My Documents folder to the new one. You can do the same for movies, music and pictures, keeping your files close at hand without them residing on the SSD." :confused:

I will have to figure out what that exactly means, but as my new fast SSD does indeed save me a lot of time, I can use that time to figure it out.... ;)