Wireless Adapter Connectivity

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by uffbros, Jan 23, 2018.

1. uffbros

uffbros MDL Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    I bought a brand new HP computer and it has the onboard wifi. I pay for and get 60Mbps bandwidth. On my old computer at same location using a PCI wifi card I connected the same as the downstairs PC that was connected via ethernet(60Mbps). Now I connect any given time half of that speed upstairs. So I disable new computers onboard wifi adapter and buy a USB one that says it is capable of 600 Mbps so that shouldn't be a problem. Now to make all things exact when testing there is no other devices connected when I do these speed tests. So just now upstairs I get a signal of 5 bars for signal strength and test is 25 Mbps. Downstairs is 62. Keep in mind my upstairs that connected with PCI card wifi got same results as ethernet. Is USB and onboard wireless adapters junk? I am using 2.4GHZ band and also n router and adapters. Any insight into this?

2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Try using the 5ghz band on your wireless n router

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. uffbros

uffbros MDL Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ok I tried the 5GHZ frequency and my speed is almost that of the wired. Now here is the funny thing...I now connect straight to the router downstairs at 52Mbps on a speed test and connect at 37Mbps on the extender that is almost beside me upstairs. Thus extender is closer. If anything from all of this shouldn't the extender be stronger and better score? Makes no sense to me. I basically wasted my $$$ on this adapter????