Wireless Connection is pi$$ing me off!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by RASelkirk, Jan 3, 2012.

1. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Senior Member

Feb 4, 2010
    I keep dropping my wireless connection for no apparent reason and it fails to reconnect automatically even though it is set to do so. Is there any way I can narrow this down to a computer or router issue? I hate to buy a new router and having the same problem. I'm running Win7 Home Premium on a Toshiba laptop ("work" network, not homegroup) through a D-Link DR-615 router. I have one other Win7 (hard-wired) and a pair of older XP machines with wireless connections. I'm leaning towards my computer, as the others don't seem to have connection problems, although I don't spend a lot of time on them...

Image 2.jpg
    Thanks!

Russ

2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    I solved a
    I solved my similar problem by using the "Clone your PC's MAC" option in my WRT54GL router.

3. bp1

bp1 MDL Member

May 11, 2009
    Problems when wireless keeps dropping are sometimes down to external interfrence on the wireless channel.
    Providing your machine is clean of spyware/malware and you have the latest driver for your wireless adaptor i would recommend setting a diffrerent channel on your wireless router. Go into the router setup and change the wireless channel from auto to say channel 2 and see how you get on. Other routers near yours eg neighbours is probably also working on the auto channel and probably interfering with your router.

Post back on how you get on

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    My bad, I should have noted this problem just started a few weeks ago, no changes on this end...

Done! We'll see what happens, there have been a few new routers popping up in my range lately...

Russ

5. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    #5 RASelkirk, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
    (OP)
    Wow, 6 hrs and no drop-outs! :worthy: Seems the "channel hopping" was the issue, set to channel one and all is good for now. If I don't post back, we'll consider this fixed. :biggrin:

Thanks!

Russ

EDIT: 5 F'in minutes after posting, the mf'er dropped out again - 3 x's in 5 mins. Changed to channel 11 and set channel width to 20 mhz from auto...

6. dewot

dewot MDL Junior Member

Apr 25, 2008
    You might get some useful info out of Inssider2 - it lets you analyze your network and networks around you. Graphics even!

7. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Re: My bad, I should have noted this problem just started a few weeks ago, no changes on this end..."

Your ISP may have made a change of which you're unaware. Cloning makes your router look like your PC to the ISP.

8. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    Nice find, thanks! I changed my channel to #2 after using this. I see two others on #11, one on #1, two #6, and one that hops and expands to cover #1 thru #6 (shows 6+2 in the channel column). What's up with that expanding range? My signal strength is -50 and the others are -70 and lower. I wish I knew what the color/texture schemes of the graph meant, they change from time to time, so I'm sure there's a meaning...

Image 000.jpg

BTW, I have no idea why my attachments keep being shrunk down to illegible size, this one was only 74k when uploaded, now it's been shrunk to 20k and cannot be read. :mad:

Russ

9. 2percent

2percent MDL Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Try setting your IP in manually in your wireless card. First, check connection properties and use the IP that the router is assigning you. Don't forget to set the gateway and DNS in also. The gateway is the router IP-192.168.???.1. You won't need to use an actual DNS server IP. You can set the gateway in for the DNS.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. bp1

bp1 MDL Member

May 11, 2009
    I think you have resolved the main issue by changing the wireless channel.
    The Dlink 615 is a great router and i have installed many of these in the past. One thing with the Dlink 615 and if it is using the DD-WRT firmware is every 24hrs the wireless locks up. This is well known and a manual re-boot of the router normally resolves this. This problem is due to a bug in the routers firmware and well known. Some say it happens when the router starts to over heat.

11. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    I have all my stuff (at least all that I can) configured manually so the internal IP's don't keep changing. In fact, I tried going back to automatic and it would not connect at all. Gateway is accessible as 192.168.1.1, router is set as DHCP server and AFAIK there is no DNS anywhere...

Not trying to ignore you, but if that was the problem, I'd not have any connection at all. Been there, done that...

As a matter of fact, this thing has required a daily reboot for quite some time now. I've always checked for updates using the router page and it never sees any, but after going to D-Links' website, I see there have been two newer ones for my revision "C". I will try the latest, but do you know of any "non-factory" firmwares that may be better?

Thanks All,

Russ

12. dewot

dewot MDL Junior Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Doing the firmware update may help. Not sure about custom firmware.

The 6+2 means an "N" capable router is pair bonding two channels to achieve higher thoughput. Channel 6 is primary, channel 2 is secondary. As far as colors / textures of graphs changing, I have not used inssider enough to know. There are different modulation methods used by different devices - that may have something to do with it, but I'm not up on the finer technical details.

Another thing you can try is to intentionally attenuate signals from other routers that you think may be giving you problems - get as many walls, bathrooms, and large metal objects between your router and their router as you can. Get as few walls and objects between your router and computer as you can.

Or put the router close to your computer and run a cable.

Glad the Inssider helped!

13. bp1

bp1 MDL Member

May 11, 2009
  14. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    vI don't feel ignoredm but your thinking you'd have had the problem all along is unrealistic.

Man I don't feel ignored, but your thinking it can't be lack of cloning since you've not had the problem all along is not correct. YOU may have made no changes, but your ISP certainly could have and that happens. Search the web and see what you find on people's ISPs changing things on them.

But hey, my problem popped up about three weeks ago and disappeared after I cloned. Did that fix it? Dunno and really don't care, post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy sort of thing maybe.

15. dewot

dewot MDL Junior Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Good to know what the different lines mean. Inssider should have a little manual with it!