Wireless Question

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by oneextraid, Jan 6, 2014.

1. oneextraid

oneextraid MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    I have 2 laptops and a wireless printer behind my router. The router was replaced recently and now when I print from laptops to wireless printer it is slow. Looks like print data stream is going thru router. I thought that wireless devices establish peer to peer connection when transferring data.

Does laptop send data thru router as it prints or when I copy files from laptop to laptop?

If yes, can I set anything to avoid this?

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    what happens when you unplug the router for test purpose only?

3. oneextraid

oneextraid MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    The router is providing DNS to laptop. Printer is static. Was unable to work when router was down.

4. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    ok was just curious if laptop connects directly to printer when router is off. So it seems that the signal runs through the router and is transmitted to the printer at a slower rate than before with other router. Perhaps there is a way to adjust the transfer rate in router settings

5. oneextraid

oneextraid MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    I will check but didn't see anything first time thru. I did think that there was some sort of adhoc setting somewhere that allows wireless devices to communicate directly.

Thanks for your help.

6. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    you're welcome

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If you would like to have the printer connected directly by WiFi to the Laptop, you would need some special Driver Apps for that, like I use for my WiFi Mouse (NOT wireless!! NO Receiver needed), which connect's directly to the Laptop!

I had once an WiFi Printer from Canon, which was also run via the Modem/Router only, NO apps for direct connect!

Check for your Printer if such Apps is available. The working is very similar to the Bluetooth devices, need to use sharing.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...