wlm 2009 hangs

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by thevibe, Jan 21, 2009.

1. thevibe

thevibe MDL Junior Member

Dec 17, 2008
    #1 thevibe, Jan 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
    hi... today i had to change my hard-disk on my laptop, so i decided to load the official public beta from microsoft technet website and activate it using the official product key i received. until yesterday, i was using build 7000 downloaded earlier from that chinese namipan website and activated using orbit30's patch. so once i installed the official beta, i installed wlm 2009 using the same installation file i used earlier for the namipan download. i set the compatibility to vista rtm, opened messenger, and now it hangs everytime i double-click a contact to chat with... it opens the conversation window after like 20 seconds or so. also, if i try to change the background of the conversation window or change the theme/scene/color of the main window, it hangs for a while and then when it comes, none of the themes are shown except the default one and the rest all have an 'x' on them like they couldnt be loaded. i also noticed that msnmsgr.exe is using way more memory that before... like abouit 54,525K while its idle and when i try to open a conversation window and it hangs, the usage even goes upto 94,800K n all... i restarted, reinstalled wlm 2009 many times but to no avail. my IE also had a problem of not opening links on new tab, instead just opening empty tabs. so i format+reinstalled the same official public beta again and now my IE problem is fixed. but the wlm 2009 problem still prevails. i had never faced this problem with the same wlm 2009 on the namipan build 7000 iso. any idea how to resolve it without me having to format and reinstall the namipan build instead of the public beta?

2. thevibe

thevibe MDL Junior Member

Dec 17, 2008
    --resolved--

strange but i somehow got it fixed. i uninstalled just the messenger (build 14.0.8050) and the live sign-in assistant from the whole live essentials suite, tried to install an earlier build of wlm 2009 (14.0.3921) messenger alone, it was not signing in.. giving me an error - 80004002. i checked on it on the net, the only resolution was to goto "c:\program files\common files\windows live\.cache" and delete all files there and then reinstall the messenger. but doing so for build 14.0.3921 still did not help sign in. so i uninstalled that build, made sure that cache folder was empty again and this time, installed the messenger alone of build 14.0.8050. i actually forgot to install live sign-in assistant. and now its working fine. it doesnt hang anymore and the memory usage is also kind of back to normal like 30,000K. i am not sure if it got fixed just because this time, i forgot to install live sign-in assistant or because of all the steps i mentioned above. anyway, i'm glad i wouldnt have to format again to load the namipan build of 7 now. messenger's quite an important thing. :cool: