WMC Key on different install on same machine

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Gfnn, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Gfnn

Gfnn MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2012
    One year ago I installed and KMS-activated a copy of Win8 Pro, then I upgraded it to WMC using a free WMC key.
    Now I have a legit retail key of Windows 8 and I successfully used it to activate a fresh install of of Windows 8.1.
    My question is: can I upgrade to 8.1 WMC using the same key or has it got tied to the old KMS activation?

2. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    - If you enter the WMC key activated on same machine, it will activate by itself when on-line.
    - If on different machine, e.g. you got the key from web, phone activate, because free WMC key is bundled to the machine it activated.

3. Gfnn

Gfnn MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2012
    The WMC key was activated on the same machine, but the Win8 key is different.
    Thanks! :)

4. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    Then it's ok you don't have to worry ;)

5. Gfnn

Gfnn MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2012
    Just completed the upgrade.

Everything is OK, Windows activated just fine. :)

6. Noctophrenia

Noctophrenia MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2013

I'd like to climb in here as I'm having a tough time finding and answer. I have a KMS activated (done on local virtual machine) Windows 8.1 / Office 2013 install. I'd like to add WMC which I had three free keys for but none worked as I've gone through too many machines with them.

Can I just install WMC offline and re-activate with the new KMS tools? I might just try this anyway and get back to you on the results as I don't think I can hose my original install in anyway.