WMP 12 vs alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Zeratul, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Zeratul

Zeratul MDL Junior Member

Jun 20, 2009
    i'm a fan of WMP for the layout, i really like it, and its not too bright for me (i cant stand itunes or zune. firstoff because they kinda suck, and second off because they are way too bright for me. itunes also takes over my computer and i dont like that)

i also like how wmp can play almost anything with the right codec pack installed.

but recently there are a couple of quirks in wmp that i really dont like. i consider 12 to be a step down from 11 in several areas. so i'm looking for a better media player. any suggestions would be welcome.

i would like something with dark themes, i dont like white/grey. customizable is good.

i would also like it to be able to play just about everything, from mp3 to flac to avi to h264.

one thing that is an absolute must is good album art/id3 tag info. i would prefer it if the media player pulled the art from the song every time it played, so i wouldnt have to worry about keeping it up to date, or having single songs in a cd that have different album art not showing up. i also DO NOT want it to separate my albums by artist while i'm looking at them sorted by album. if i have a compilation cd it should show as a single tile or icon when sorted by album, even if it has multiple artists.

so if any of you knowledgeable folks have any ideas that would meet or closely match the above list i would be very grateful.

thanks for the help!

2. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    VLC player will play anything you throw at it, but as for album art, VLC doesn't have that feature (or has it ?)

KM player also plays a lot of formats, but again, don't know if it has that feature.

Gen555

3. d3l1

d3l1 MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    I'd rather use foobar2000 then vlc but that's everybodies choice. And for the Codec Packs, with the right player you don't need them but if you want mkv, h264, xvid in wmp you should get one, win7codecs works fine, and if you have x64 just get the x64 components.

wmp is fine for me, the only thing missing is a x64 lyrics plugin. the ones I could fine only work on x86 wmp.

4. MrFerretKing

MrFerretKing MDL Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Exacltly
    Codec packs can sometimes make things work worse than intended.
    When building my HTPC - I just used Media Player Classic - Home Cinema version
    and installed only the codecs for the types of files I wanted to play (ie. MKV)

5. eaponte23

eaponte23 MDL Member

Sep 29, 2008
    #8 eaponte23, Nov 30, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
    I use Media Monkey for my music library. Syncs my iPods just fine and handles just every format. For video I use KMPlayer no codecs needed so far. I've used CCCP codecs for Windows 7 before, they work great but haven't come across any issues using KMPlayer minus codecs. /shrugs

6. pezzonovante

pezzonovante MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    WMP 12 is the best media player for Windows 7. It can play divx files out of the box. For mkv, flv and other file formats, you can install codecs from shark007.net and you will never have to worry about anything.

VLC player can play anything - but it has no library support and it is ugly as hell - even after applying skins.

7. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    When watching a movie, I tend not to notice what the player looks like :p

8. Zeratul

Zeratul MDL Junior Member

Jun 20, 2009
    i do have shark007's win7 codec pack with x64 addon. it works great for playing any files (though sometimes .flac wont play right, which is really irritating).

wmp12 also doesnt support flac or ogg album art/id3 tags. i had to get a plug in for that, and it is rather spotty sometimes too.

i really prefer wmp12, but i would really like it if the album art and flac support was better.

is there any plugin i could get for those two things to make them better?

9. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    #12 Michel, Nov 30, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
    Can you share that flac file ??? because all flac files works fine for me.

10. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    Playing Videos - VLC, yeah it uses its own codecs and doesn't have all the post processing features that you can get with something like ZoomPlayer and FFDShow but for watching TVRips and MovieRips it is good enough for me

Listening to Music - Foobar 2000, supports pretty much every audio file under the sun and supports cue files for albums/sets that are 1 single file so they can be broken down into tracks

Transferring music to my iPhone - Media Monkey

11. Voiture Lumiere

Voiture Lumiere MDL Member

May 31, 2009
    K-lite mega codec + MPC for videos.
    foobar for music.:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. murdercitydevil

murdercitydevil MDL Member

Sep 7, 2009
    winamp + VLC player = epic win. I've never come across a single file I couldn't play, never had a single codec issue, never had to worry about software messing up my library, etc. As long as you stay far, far away from itunes though, you should be fine.

Honestly I don't use WM player for anything except occasionally making video playlists, which is kind of awkward with VLC.

13. NoGoodNick

NoGoodNick MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2009
    It sounds like your talking specifically about music files. If so, I've always favored WinAmp. The only problem I have with it is the "File Info" for updating song information. I always have to reinput the same info whenever I place the same files on a new machine. The info is kept only on the local WinAmp application.

I'm kind of lazy so don't mind WMP so much that I replace it, but, on small machines like a netbook, I Really like GOM player, mostly because it has it's own Codecs built in and don't need any added.

14. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    I use MediaMonkey for my audio. I don't watch any video on my pc.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. wyrman

wyrman MDL Member

Nov 21, 2007
    VLC and Foobar for me.

16. StevenX

StevenX MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2009
    Same here.
    Both seem to play pretty much anything, and are QUICK. Which is the reason I don't use WMP12; it takes forever to start up and continues to be laggy and unresponsive.

17. wyrman

wyrman MDL Member

Nov 21, 2007