Word 2010 default proofing language

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by Carel, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I am trying to change my proofing language for the Spelling and Grammar checker in Word 2010 but I am having problems making this change permanent. I have installed an Afrikaans dictionary and it is working fine, but even if I do go to the settings and change the proofing language to Afrikaans, it still reverts back to English the next time I open a new or blank document. How do I change this setting for all documents and not just one specific document? I couldn't find a solution for this on Google, however I could manage to change the proofing language in both Office 2003 & 2007 but not in 2010 as it keeps reverting back to English the moment I close Word or open a different document. I bet Microsoft does not use Office 2010 themselves, in fact I can bet that when you come into their offices you'll be seeing Apple machines everywhere using either LibreOffice, OpenOffice or LaTEX. If anyone can give me a hint, then I'll really appreciate it.

2. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Well I kind of did Google it myself too and did use the same web page but as I already said - I want to change the proofing language permanently. As the heading for the link states: "To change the language of a document to check the spelling, do the following:" - this is only for the document itself and is not permanent (unless I save the document and open it again). What I am trying to do is to change the proofing language for Word itself and not just that specific document so that when I close word and re-open it I do not have to set the Proofing language again, the article applies to a single document only. In other words, how can I change the proofing language so that whenever I open Word and start typing that it automatically starts checking the page for errors in Afrikaans and not English?