Worthwhile to be disabling Indexing still?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Espionage724, Jan 20, 2015.

  1. Espionage724

    Espionage724 MDL Addicted

    Nov 7, 2009
    902
    255
    30
    I've been disabling disk indexing and Windows Search since back in XP and Vista. The main reason being; I already know where my important files are, and also know how to do a simple Google Search for any system-specific files I may need. And because of that, I don't really need something taking up memory and system resources in the background.

    I think as of 8.1 (or 8), getting rid of Search wasn't as-simple as unchecking a box, but you could remove it with DISM. And as of 10 TP build 9888, you could still remove it that same way. Also starting with 8 or 8.1, the search box on Explorer windows (and Modern UI) aren't removed either when Search is removed, and I'm pretty sure they're non-functional. And something a bit minor (but annoying nonetheless), the Search folder in the User folder keeps reappearing after being deleted, even when no searching is being done.

    I'm wondering, do people still use Search/Indexing? Or do you remove it? And does the Search/Indexing features really have a use for someone like me who just knows where their files are at?
     
  2. endbase

    endbase MDL Guru

    Aug 12, 2012
    3,790
    1,102
    120
    I'm on raid 0 with 2 ssd disks and yes I use search indexing it makes my life easier :D and I have so much files these days that it is very handy :tea: In your case if it is like you say that you know where your files are at it should not make any difference then ;)
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SpeedDream

    SpeedDream MDL Addicted

    Feb 20, 2012
    619
    121
    30
    I use it to search programs instead of looking for them I search them right away since 8.x,
    used to disable it in xp/vista/7
     
  4. Rob Jansen

    Rob Jansen MDL Junior Member

    Apr 17, 2011
    62
    51
    0
    With Windows Vista, the search was slow after a new installation since it indexes all the time. Which made it slow, since those were the days before SSDs (or they were credible expensive).
    But once it completed (just let it run a few hours) and it works great.

    With Windows 7 the indexing was put in the background and no longer slowed down the computer to much and was paused when you did something on the PC. So disabling wasn't necessary anymore.

    If you still disable it, its your choice, but searches could take longer. Just let it enabled it works great.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. sevenacids

    sevenacids MDL Addicted

    Aug 17, 2012
    628
    186
    30
    First or all, removing or disabling search/indexing doesn't mean you lose the ability to search within Windows. You can still use the search boxes, but it will take longer until you get results because nothing is indexed. That's basically the only thing this service does - indexing all your stuff in the background to find it quicker. In the early Vista days, this could really turn out as a performance penalty in some situations because it was all new and not tweaked. Beginning with Windows 7, it became better and more fine tuned, and once it's done with the initial run after a clean install, it usually doesn't get in the way anymore.

    Now in the days of SSDs, I know people use to disable search/indexing because it involves a lot of tiny write actions that might lead to a faster wearing of the disk. I'm not sure if there is such a big impact in modern drives with TRIM and firmware that intelligently balances the usage of cells; it's become more of a religious decision I guess.

    Personally, I disabled search/indexing. I'm on a SSD and like to limit write-accesses to a minimum, but another reason is that I don't really need local search because I don't have that much of data, and the still quite large amount I have is all sorted by a well-organized directory structure for all document, music, and video files I have. Therefore, if I have to look for something, instead of doing a search, I navigate through my hierarchy (like "Documents/Bills/2014/01/..." or "Documents/Development/Standards/ECMA/ECMA-334...", for example) to find the stuff I'm looking for. A well-organized directory structure saves a lot of time and makes search/indexing neglectable. I guess it's more helpful for people who are less organized. And for music and video it's common that your player takes the job of indexing and keeping your media at hand in a separate library, so I don't need Windows to find a song...
     
  6. murphy78

    murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

    Nov 18, 2012
    6,674
    10,073
    210
    disabling search indexes was really only necessary in vista.
    For the rest of the OS versions, it doesn't speed up your system noticeably.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Rob Jansen

    Rob Jansen MDL Junior Member

    Apr 17, 2011
    62
    51
    0
    Even on a SSD you don't need to disable it.
    With the current drives, they fail in 50 years or even longer then your life time is.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. speedy1979

    speedy1979 MDL Novice

    Jul 31, 2012
    41
    4
    0
    Everything search is faster.
     
  9. LiteOS

    LiteOS MDL Expert

    Mar 7, 2014
    1,433
    547
    60
    #9 LiteOS, Jan 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
    i use whereisit
    first u need to index all the drivers to catalog file
    and then u can search in few secs

    but if there new files u will need to update it
     
  10. WaltC

    WaltC MDL Addicted

    Mar 8, 2014
    518
    123
    30
    I only enable it for C:\, which is my smallest partition and holds only my OS, utilities and drivers. I agree that I probably don't even need it anymore as it is noticeably different in operation than it was in earlier Windows versions...Just a habit these days...I'm sure I'll rethink it ...eventually...;)
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. sevenacids

    sevenacids MDL Addicted

    Aug 17, 2012
    628
    186
    30
    Sorry, but enabling it for a drive which only holds the OS, utilities and drivers doesn't make much sense to me. I mean, why would you index that stuff? How often do you search your utilities and drivers? And the OS files are excluded by default. IMHO, indexing only makes sense for stuff like documents, music, video... just all kinds of personal data. I would disable it for the system drive and enable it for the drive where my personal data is stored.