would it be possible to use ftdi basic to program bios?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by alandica, Dec 1, 2013.

1. alandica

alandica MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2012
    Hello i have some problem with my lenovo x100e and have tried all kinds of solutions but nothing seems to work, i have a sparkfun ftdi basic at home and maybe im only dreaming but wonder if it would be possible to use it to program the bios chip?

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Most likely dreaming...

3. Old_

Old_ MDL Novice

Nov 26, 2013
    You should try to flash the BIOS directly on board with the Linux flashrom utility. If it is a Windows system, install with Wubi Ubuntu 13.10, this don't need a repartition of the Windows NTFS partitions and install Ubuntu into a image file at a NTFS drive.

4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    u can use EN25T80 usb programmer if need.

flashrom can run from dos usb also.

5. Old_

Old_ MDL Novice

Nov 26, 2013
    I have bad experiences with flashrom for DOS, but flashrom for Linux works very good.

6. alandica

alandica MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2012
    the problem is that the computer is dead after bios flash power button is glowing, it reads from usb stick, the fan works and it turns on the hard drive but nothing more so i dont know if linux flash rom could do anything about it.

7. Old_

Old_ MDL Novice

Nov 26, 2013
    If the computer don't boot any operating system from USB disk or internal disk, you must desolder the BIOS chip and solder a new programmed BIOS chip.

If the BIOS chip is a SPI flash chip, you can try to program the chip direct on board without desoldering. The problem is, you need in both cases the real dump of BIOS content from the same computer model. This can be done, with flashrom at a functional computer of the same model.

8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    OR backup.bin of broken then merge dloaded bios to it at the proper offsets.