Would MS be able to circumvent a modded bios?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jmichaud1, Sep 19, 2009.

1. jmichaud1

jmichaud1 MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2009
    Sorry for being a n00b with my curiosity but how plausible would it be for MS to detect or prevent this type of modded bios/slp/cert routine?

2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Possible...not likely. More likely to update activation schema..:cool:

Is there a reason for this question???

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Possible? Yes.
    In fact they could do it incredibly easily for BIOS loaders.

It probably wouldn't be too difficult for modded BIOS's (Just check where the SLIC table is from and who makes the motherboard, if they don't match, disable)
    However, that would possibly cause a large backlash on Microsoft since it would probably effect a portion legit users since things like this can be rather indiscriminate / inaccurate.

4. jmichaud1

jmichaud1 MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2009
    no real reason, just curiosity

5. weinter

weinter MDL Senior Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Yes I suspect this can be done.
    Match OEM strings with SLIC Table OEMID
    But I am not sure if there are any OEM Systems that don't match this criteria.
    IMO if they can eliminate Loaders they are already successful.
    If they try to detect Modded BIOS they might break some existing systems.

6. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. bertmace

bertmace MDL Member

Jul 14, 2009
    So what you are saying ms will use wga and brick your machine if it do'nt match I smell a lot off money coming my way

8. weinter

weinter MDL Senior Member

Feb 19, 2009
    No not possible since there are still laptops bundled with Win7 on older BIOS.

9. dumppq

dumppq MDL Junior Member

Mar 3, 2008
    How about if I modded my Acer laptop BIOS (which had a 2.0 SLIC originally) with the Acer 2.1 SLIC? :)

10. danny3456

danny3456 MDL Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Theoretically, yes. Practically, no.

Modded bios is not their target and they repeatedly stressed that they aim at commercial pirating, not small scale activities. Simply not economically justified.

11. parasxos

parasxos MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2009
    @dumppq

The only way is to match every product's SNID with the BIOS should be included by the manufacturer, that would be 100% accurate, but seems to me impossible for MS to get a database like this.

I think the only realistic way is to make a "BIOS inspector" that will check multiple attributes of BIOS. That tool should check:

1) If the BIOS on moob has SLIC 2.1 (avoiding loaders)
    2) DMI Mobo's Manufacturer, product and version (to match the following attributes)
    3) DMI Release date (the biggest percentage of people with modded bioses will revealed that way)
    4) DMI BIOS Version (in case this does not match with the release date, you have still modded BIOS, maybe you also changed the release date of BIOS :) )
    5) CPU Platform ID matches to your mobo (that will reveal some modded bios with modded DMI)
    6) Memory type matches to your mobo (the same)
    .... and more like this.

In the end a big amount of people will not be genuine after this check and it it will be in some cases difficult and in other impossible to trick this check (even with Acer Slic in acer machine etc.)

Even if you manage to trick it you will have problem for updating some of your hardware drivers as it will be incompatible.

12. BIOSNOIDEA

BIOSNOIDEA MDL Senior Member

Mar 8, 2009
    In Australia there are very STRONG PRIVACY laws so I cannot see this happening.
    Moreover this BIOS stuff is intended for very technical people that he or she knows what they are doing................unlike me that I am BIOS NO IDEA

13. FABIGUI

FABIGUI MDL Member

Jun 2, 2007
    In my opinion most peoble uses c*r*k or other type of things and not bios mod like we do. Even they don't think they exist or to risky to try it. So MS is goig to atack the easiest way for validating Windows. As bios mod became more and more popular probably they are going to think about it.

14. engage16

engage16 MDL Junior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Even then it wouldn't work well, people perform memory upgrades... People perform legitamate BIOS updates... My bios on the HP site just updated to SLIC 2.1....

15. pezzonovante

pezzonovante MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    MS won't be able to do anything about Loaders, let alone modded bioses.

16. Joe45

Joe45 MDL Junior Member

May 17, 2009
    And if my computer bios,slic table 2.1,certificate,key matches from the same OEM, could MS deactivated my windows? i dont think so...

17. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Ya know..This was discussed ad nauseum last year for vista mods..search there and all your questions will be answered...

This paranoia is ridiculous. Do it or dont, quit looking for spoilers..:p;)

-Or just buy the OS.:D

18. jmichaud1

jmichaud1 MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2009
    I did look but didn't see anything...but then again that doesn't mean it wasn't there.

And yes I already have my slic 2.1 bios upgrade. Suprised and glad the bios update worked as well as it did.

19. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    Basicly M$ will look for the easiest way to prevent "unauthorized" Activ@tions meaning they will go after lo@der's and other soft mods before they even think about going any further.

It's already been stated M$ would end up bricking a crap load of computers if they tried to even stop a bios mod - meaning huge lawsuits - something M$ would really like to avoid.

So, if you want to make sure you stay activ@ted go the Hard Mod route it's as simple as that.

20. regal

regal MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009

I thought the loaders were installed "outside" of the OS, they wouldn't have the authority any more than they would to access your external harddrive.

They will go after the certificates and keys and make things miserable wether you have a loader modified SLIC or Bios SLIC.