Would Windows 7 run well on this pc?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by vistadude, May 5, 2009.

1. vistadude

vistadude MDL Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Here's my specs for a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop, from late 2005.

Intel Centrino 2.0 ghz single core
    2 gb ram (maxed out)
    250 gb western digital scorpio blue PATA, 5400 rpm,
    ATI x300 64 mb video card
    15.4" display 1680 x 1050
    Windows XP media center edition 2005 current OS

I read aero works on vista with lower specs, but not sure how well. This laptop is used for work and editing large image files (200-300 mb), photoshop, illustrator, etc.

Does anyone have an opinion whether it's even worth trying out on this notebook?

Thanks.

2. shakeyplace

shakeyplace MDL Addicted

May 5, 2007
    #4 shakeyplace, May 5, 2009
    Last edited: May 5, 2009
    Never used any Dell software, mostly installed from Win7 installation disk or windows update for things such as my card reader, You will have to get the video driver (I expect) from windows update or, if it don't show up in windows update you will have to get it by doing a serch for "x300 ati" at that catalog site - you can download drivers directly from there. Basically I was able to get the entire system up and running without Dell and I believe all through the install or windows update. Oh, maybe my wireless card, I think I had to download from that windows update site to another computer and then install the driver cause I didn't want to take my laptop and connect it to the wired lan..
    PS, I never tried to install quickset..
    PPS, All the downloads on that site are in *.cab files, you will need winrar or something to extract the drivers from that file..

3. vistadude

vistadude MDL Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Sounds great :) but do your function keys work on your notebook. For example, the wifi on/off switch, external monitor, hibernate/standby?

Thanks a bunch.

4. shakeyplace

shakeyplace MDL Addicted

May 5, 2007
    Yes, Everything works