Would XP be a better / faster option for my Netbook?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Matrix Leader, May 17, 2010.

1. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    I find it quite sluggish with Windows 7 Ultimate even though I have disabled all unwanted services / startup programs and I have defragged my HDD and disabled all visual effects / AERO.

Do you think it would be snappier if I used Windows XP on it? (it originally came with XP but I never used it with XP on it)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. jrizal

jrizal MDL Novice

May 18, 2010
    You're better off with XP if you want speed. But my Asus 1005PEB Atom 450 upgraded to 2GB runs fine on Win7 with Aero activated. Also check if there are other processes that slow down your netbook including your AV software and firewall. :)

3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Well said, I used many netbooks with Windows 7 Ultimate + Aero enabled and they ran without any trouble at all.........

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You may think they are running ok but why do you think manufacturers put XP onto notebooks.

5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Low cost + Processor friendly + Low resource use ........

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Exactly you got it in one :)

7. MADDOG33

MADDOG33 MDL Junior Member

Nov 25, 2008
    #7 MADDOG33, May 18, 2010
    Last edited: May 18, 2010
    I couldn't help myself when I saw your question, I installed XP on my new emachines et1831 desktop with 2.7 ghz intel and it was so fast I'll never go back to 7.

8. jrizal

jrizal MDL Novice

May 18, 2010
    At the time of the emergence of netbooks in October 2007, Vista for all its worth (if there was any) was the OS being sold by Microsoft and Linux was the OS installed in netbooks. Obviously for most netbooks at the time sold were not capable of running Vista (i.e. 4/8 GB SSDs with underclocked processors to boot). As such so that MS won't lose market share, XP Home was revived and installed on netbooks on condition that RAM installed would not exceed 1GB (though upgreadable to 2GB.) There were some exceptions to this like the Sony Vaio P series. Sony decided they not to call it a netbook so that it can have 2GB of RAM and Vista installed.

But to cut a long story short, XP Home was a stop gap for Microsoft and when Windows 7 came out all subsequent netbooks came in with Windows 7 Starter and XP was for the second time ended. Fact is the last batched of Intel Atom 270 based netbooks now have Windows 7 Starter installed reason for being is for cost considerations. Windows Starter editions are normally sold in developing editions but the things have changed with netbooks.

9. jrizal

jrizal MDL Novice

May 18, 2010
    Nothing wrong really with using XP. In fact I still have two machines a laptop and a 4GB SSD based netbook. They still work fine. Though I must admit MS hit the spot with Windows 7 as such my new netbook and laptop uses Windows 7. Vista ran lame on my laptop. :)

10. HolySatan

HolySatan MDL Novice

May 12, 2010
    mine. HP netbook with windows ultimate is great. 2Gb RAM

11. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    I downgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows XP SP3 and it feels like I got a new netbook, it is twice faster now! never touching Windows 7 on this Netbook again!

How does Linux run on my Netbook anyone experienced this? Good idea or bad? ie.. running into driver / compatibility issues?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. fdjc

fdjc MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010
    #12 fdjc, May 23, 2010
    Last edited: May 23, 2010
    Yea XP is better, you have a single core CPU, I wouldn't run 7 on a single core tbh (even with HT).

If you could get an Atom 330 you would run 7 well enough for a netbook.

As for Linux, I have a partition on my drive for it as 7 is my main OS.
    Id recommend u partition 10-15gb and install Ubuntu just to try it out.
    Did it on an Acer one, Linpus (crap and rarely updated) to Ubuntu which is the most popular distribution I think, decent support compared to others as well.

13. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
  14. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    You missed my point...I like it and use it..

A lot of LINUX purists see it as a compromise..

The WUBI installer allows the desktop, laptop, or netbook user to install over the web on windows, without repartitioning the harddrive. It is quick and works beautifully.

10.04 is by far the best Ubuntu I have used thus far.

When you have the backing the distro does, and the continued commitment to support and "free" distribution and use...it had better be well developed and mature releases.....as they always are.;)

15. Gethsemane

Gethsemane MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
  16. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    #17 RJARRRPCGP, May 30, 2010
    Last edited: May 30, 2010
    For Linux, it looks like SliTaz 3.0 may be the best now. Smaller than XP! Only about 256 MB of HDD used! That's like Windows 98!
    Right now, SliTaz is making Arch look like a hog! (despite Arch being a KISS distro)

And for Windows, yes, I do have XP Pro SP3 on my Asus P5QL Pro with Core 2 Duo E4500 (even when OC'ed) because the internet is more responsive than with Windows Vista and Windows 7. (Sorry, Microsoft)

17. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Good old XP. :) I sometimes think we've all forgotten what a goog OS XP is. BTW, Ubuntu is great too. Ease of use and all.

18. computergeek

computergeek MDL Junior Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Windows XP or a small Linux distrobution would be your best choice for a fast OS on your Netbook. Right now I have Tiny7 on my Asus EEE 900 Netbook because I wanted to test my activation program on it. It runs it ok... I would go with Lubuntu Linux or Windows XP.

19. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Lubuntu is looking good, but it's looking more like SliTaz is the winner. SliTaz makes even Lubuntu look like a hog! LOL!