Would You Like To Find Out If Your Windows 10 License Is Permanent?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ChaserLee, Aug 23, 2015.

1. ChaserLee

ChaserLee MDL Senior Member

Oct 7, 2014
    Some folks here may want to find out if their installed copy of Windows 10 has a permanent license or not. Here is an easy way to find out...

Open an elevated privileged Command Prompt, and enter the following:

slmgr /xpr

Give it a second or so, and a text box will appear letting you know the results.

Just another tool for the toolbox......

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    #2 Tito, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    You should go for /dlv:
    Code:
    /dlv [Activation ID | All]
        Display detailed license information (default: current license)
    /xpr [Activation ID]
        Expiration date for current license state

FYI, /xpr is useless on time-bombed releases.

3. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    #4 ChaserLee, Aug 23, 2015
    (OP)
    Thanks, Tito. A bit of information that I was missing. I learn more each day, and I appreciate you sharing the knowledge!!

The /dlv switch does give MUCH more information, and if I add the ALL argument, the results are even more impressive. Nice!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    If you say so.

5. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    Yes, I can see that. It's great news for you, Paul. Thanks for sharing, and thanks for making a substantial contribution to this thread. I'm sure all members will benefit from your comments.

6. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    Please read my first post in this thread. The instructions are there.

7. wtarkan

wtarkan MDL Member

Sep 1, 2009
    - just copy the following code and paste it on a Notepad ,
    - give it a name and Save the script with a .vbs extension (activation.vbs)

Set oShell = WScript.CreateObject("WSCript.shell")
    oShell.run "slmgr.vbs -dlv"

8. Fennec

Fennec MDL Junior Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Capture.PNG

Thanks for your answer. By this command is what I get. I want more information.

9. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    Ok, then use /dlv at the end, instead of /xpr like Tito instructs to do. You get much more information that way....

10. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #13 EFA11, Aug 24, 2015
  11. Fennec

Fennec MDL Junior Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Thanks for your answer. I have the same information as those of Paul Desmond except "VOLUME_MAK channel" while I have "RETAIL channel". What is the difference ?
    I want to clarify that I have done an upgrade to Win 10 Pro from W8.1 activated by KMSpico, partition formatting and do a "clean install."

12. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    You are most welcome!

I believe the difference is that yours is showing as being on the Retail release channel.... meaning, I presume, that Microsoft sees your installation as being legit, and a real install of Windows 10 Pro, rather than a volume licensed copy, which is what I believe shows on Pauls' system. I could be wrong on that, however. I thought I was wrong once last month, but I was mistaken.... ;)

Do you run KMS now, on your newly installed Windows? I'm not sure by your wording if you meant that 8.1 was activated by KMS, or that 10 is now activated by KMS....

13. Blueingreen

Blueingreen MDL Junior Member

Mar 18, 2015
  14. 10aout

10aout MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2015
    #17 10aout, Aug 24, 2015
    Another trick which might come useful for us long-time command-line lovers: at the C> prompt, you can type
    Code:
    cscript %windir%\system32\slmgr.vbs /dlv
    to get the result printed on the console; this even allows redirection and piping. :)

15. chris34

chris34 MDL Member

Oct 28, 2009
    It's only permanently activated until Microsoft decides it's not anymore.

16. Fennec

Fennec MDL Junior Member

Jun 11, 2015
    "Microsoft sees my installation as legitimate": this is great news! ;)
    Initially, I had activated 8.1 KMSpico by the month of March. Then I received the booking for Win 10, via GWT.
    On 3/8, I upgraded to the W10 (using the MS ISO) that is activated by itself, then I installed KMSpico to activate Office 2013.
    The 21/8, due to problems of "Memory", I format the C partition to do a "clean install." Initially, the system was not activated, but after the internet connection and a reboot, Windows 10 was activated. Since the formatting of C, I have not installed KMSpico, not even to activate Office.

17. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    Outstanding! Sounds to me like you are good to go, and setup as a legit Windows 10 owner.. Good news for you in that you won't have to install KMS anymore.

Or at least, as others say, until Microsoft changes the game.... :cool: