Write protected folders

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by DayDreamz, Oct 28, 2016.

1. DayDreamz

DayDreamz MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2012
    I don't know if it's a common problem, but all my folders on all my drives, including the system drive have been writeprotected, and i've been trying to remove it, since it causes my problems.

one examble : I run modded minecraft, and when i launch it, i change settings in the launcher and push save, but because of the write protection i have to put in the information every single time i launch it.

Then i started to look at my folders, and tried to make a new one, and they are write protected as standard, and can't be changed.

Anyone who found a solution to remove write protection from folders on system drive ?

Been at it for 4 days now.

2. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    So, all of a sudden you can not access any of your folders ?
    I.E Documents, Music etc etc ?

Have I read this right ?

Only one thing pops into my mind that can do that, some sort of virus !

Only one cure in my mind !

Are we talking laptop or desktop ?

I would take that drive out, load temporary system onto another drive, making sure I can read and write files, folders. Then I would connect the original drive back in but run the temp system and see if you can access your files via that.
    Or get hold of a Live Linux disk, boot from that and see if you can read your files.

Don't sound good to me. But, hey I am more wrong than right....:death:

3. DayDreamz

DayDreamz MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2012
    No, the windows system can change files like it's suposed to, but if you go to any folder, or even create a new one, then it's automatically write protected and you can't remove it. Benn checking multiple computers today (25+) all with the exact same issue. Im just trying to figure out why it happens, and how to remove write protect whenever i need to. This is a clean system, only with windows updates and it got the issue. no virus, no malware. It's a problem on both laptop and desktop, but i've only checked windows 10 pro machines.

4. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    I remember seeing a REG tweak which added " take control" to the context menu ( left click ) this allowed the user to work on system secure folders\files.
    Is this what you are after ?

I thought it sounded like you had a bug :eek:

5. potjevleesch

potjevleesch MDL Addicted

Aug 7, 2010
    his thingy works like a charm ****://***.top-password.com/take-ownership-pro.html

6. iBmeUbU

iBmeUbU MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2013
    I'm looking for a "take-ownership" type of tweek like I used on Win7. Where can I find that?

7. iBmeUbU

iBmeUbU MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2013
    Thank you for the link.

Will this work on Win 10? I'm having trouble editing my "Host" file.

8. Crime[Scene]

Crime[Scene] MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2016
    I think if you run Notepad at elevated (Administrator) level you will be okay.

9. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    That is a really good way to do it. Right click on notepad, run as admin, then browse for, and open hosts file.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...