[Solved] Wrong purchasae? Intel 8th gen + GA-H110M-S2H

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by LauraYeo, May 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LauraYeo

LauraYeo MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2017
    My brother bought a new costom pc from amazon and after the assembly, it was turned on, it stayed on for 5 sec and it shuts down, fans are spinning, gpu is also spinning, there is no strange noises, we tried different ram slots, even took out everything and reassembled it,

Here are the parts:

Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2H Ultra Durable Motherboards

Corsair CMK8GX4M1A2400C16 Vengeance LPX 8GB (1x8GB) DDR4 2400MHz C16 XMP 2.0 High Performance Desktop Memory Module

Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1060 WF2 3GB GDDR5 PCI-E

EVGA 600 W1, 80+ WHITE 600W, Power Supply 100-W1-0600-K3

SanDisk SSD PLUS 120 GB Sata III 2.5-inch Internal SSD, Up to 530 MB/s

Intel BX80684I38100 8th Gen Core i3-8100 Processor

Fractal Design Define S ATX Computer Case

We swapped a power supply to check but the results were the same, turned on without ram stick and there was no sound that it's missing, so my guess is that the cpu is not running with that mobo?

2. lgj1952

lgj1952 MDL Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lewcass

lewcass MDL Senior Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Coffee Lake cpu on Kaby Lake(?) motherboard. Both are socket 1151 but Coffee Lake has different pin layout as far as i know. You may have made an expensive mistake and screwed both cpu and mobo. Ouch.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. lewcass

Mar 10, 2018
  5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    The only thing you can try is to pop that 7100 cpu on the motherboard and see if it'll boot up. Return that 8100 if you can. ....or.... do the reverse and get a Coffee Lake board and see if that 8100 cpu will boot up

6. lewcass

Mar 10, 2018
    If you selected the individual parts then the error is yours. If the cpu and motherboard were an amazon bundle then the error is theirs and should replace the parts with suitable replacements without fuss.

Check the cpu support list then the bios updates to see if the bios supports a chosen cpu or not.

7. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  8. LauraYeo

LauraYeo MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2017
    I sent the CPU back and ordered a 7100 i3 I hope that the mobo didn't break somehow from inserting 8th gen I to it.

9. fabre gastro

fabre gastro MDL Junior Member

May 29, 2018
    my bad ..... sorry man i just cant stop laughing left right center full 360 degree. i am adding your experience into my book of really expensive mistake jokes collection.
    sorry again. but i cant just help myself but i am sorry for the damage. but yet....... hehhehehehehe

10. lewcass

Mar 10, 2018
    #11 lewcass, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
    What damage? Its so long ago i cannot remember what happened at what stage but when i took the parts back to dickwad and co and some lesser dickwad realised the mistake and changed the board without fuss. I leant to trust my own judgement and that sometimes "experts" dont know s**t.

Wanna hear a story about a young guy who really knew his s**t?

I was a regular customer at my local General Motors parts department and got to know the guys well. I needed new front and rear timing belt cover, i knew my engine code off by heart. Saw a parts guy, gave him the engine code, new covers arrived next day. My old covers were rounded at the top, later covers were squared off. Got them home, tried to fit them, no joy, bolt holes(water pump hole) in the wrong places. Took the parts back the next day, saw Andy, 25 or younger, showed him the covers, showed him my engine code, i didnt say anything. He looked at the covers, then my engine code, then the covers again and he said i'll get the parts in and the correct parts arrived the next day. Now theres a guy who really knew his s**t. :)

By the way, that was back in the days they were still using microfiche.

11. fabre gastro

May 29, 2018
    the story is inspiring but there are a very few folks in the industry who knows what they claim. rest is nothing but a super inflated bloatware. i used to cock about i know this i know that, such that i even got the nick name "cocky barracuda boyaa" but now i just STFU.
    because you only live once mate, enjoy it to your fullest. which is why ..... and aah automobiles.....
    i am trying to build the entire chassis using carbon fiber..... first my friends laughed hysterically till i proved them i can save nearly 40% gas consumption
    now i am trying to build my own HHO engine... have to read tonnes of books spend 86400 seconds doing something useful.
    i am no pro in automobiles, i am a bio chemist and linux/bsd system programmer. i finger a little the brain of the OS, the kernel.
    hence yes i can claim i do know a thing or two about electro-mechanical objects operate and also how bio-mechanical objects operate. rest is a wizza...

12. lewcass

Mar 10, 2018
    Id rather do that to the wife :laie:

13. fabre gastro

May 29, 2018
    play safe! aarghh neigh.......... go make babies!

14. toyo

toyo MDL Senior Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Sad I've seen this so late, and that nobody told you that you should have sent back the motherboard, not the chip.
    The 8100 was a 4/4 chip, i.e. you got 4 physical cores - like older i5s. The 7100 is a 2/4 chip, so you get 2 physical core+hyperthreading, which is far from another 2 physical cores.
    This was a pretty costly mistake, on top of your first one. If you like to play half-modern games and maybe do some demanding work on that PC, you're bound to notice a pretty big performance gap between the 7100 and the 8100 you sent back.
    If you can, try to remedy this and stick with the 8th gen platform.

Morale of the story:
    If you're not good at hardware, or you've been "out of the game" for a while, ALWAYS, no exceptions, post your builds on forums so you can get some feedback on what works and what not and how to save money. Don't just make out configs by yourself if you're not experienced with it, always have a geek (preferably more) helping you.

15. lewcass

Mar 10, 2018
    toyo, even if you are not ready to change hardware its still good to keep an eye on whats happening.

16. toyo

toyo MDL Senior Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Absolutely, but that's not enough. Plus there are some additional questions one that builds a new PC probably still needs help with, like if a specific cooler doesn't interfere with their higher profile RAM sticks on a specific motherboard etc.
    Also, from personal experience, if you like tech, it gets annoying to keep watch if you don't upgrade very often. I was not extremely interested to read about the 7700K while I still had my FX 8350, only to see how far behind my PC was. But I was VERY interested to read about the 8700K, which I ended up buying, as it was a 6 core and a worthy upgrade. Same will go for Nvidia's new generation that's soon to be released, I won't really care much, my 1070ti is to last me 2 years or so, before that I'm not getting tempted :p

17. lewcass

Mar 10, 2018
    I agree, but thats more of a problem on gamer hardware, if you are using low to mid range components it wont be much of an issue, if any. I only use crucial memory if it is compatible on their site. I am interested in the next wave of ryzen cpus, amd are showing some stuff on june 6th that hasnt been seen yet(according to wccf) so i will wait and see though i reckon holding out to next year for 7nm ryzen may be a better idea. I may get 2 crucial ssds and a 2tb hdd to tide me over to.

18. jonlurker

jonlurker MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2015
    You also only have 1x 8GB stick of ram? That's major loss of bandwidth. Should get 2x4 GB or 2x8GB.

19. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    As requested by OP, I've closed this thread.