WSIM Help

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by evildave, Apr 7, 2010.

1. evildave

evildave MDL Junior Member

Feb 22, 2010
    #1 evildave, Apr 7, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
    OK, I have:
    • A Windows 7 machine with WAIK 1.2 installed and plenty of disk space
    • Windows 7 Enterprise ISOs
    • My Technet Plus MAK for 7 Enterprise

The WSIM documentation isn't the greatest I've ever worked with. (And I really hate non-dead-tree documentation in general.)

I want to accomplish a USB install stick with:
    • Japanese MUI pack automatically installed (Think I managed to work out how to do this out of the documentation)
    • My MAK embedded and automatically used with no window popping up
    Can someone give me the rundown on the fu required for the second part? The documentation talks about multiple strategies for doing this and glosses over the nitty-gritty. Don't want/need anything else automated in the install process.

2. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    #2 Phazor, Apr 7, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
    Easy:

1) Create the following folders on the C:\ drive: ent, mnt, new and lp

2) Copy the install.wim from the Enterprise image into the ent folder

3) Unpack (extract!) the language-pack into the lp folder

4) Rightclick the attached dism.cmd, select edit, replace the GVLK with your MAK and save

5) Move the dism.cmd into this folder: C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools (important or it cannot work)

6) Run the dism.cmd as admin, lean back and wait until everything is done (30-40 minutes, depending on your machine)

When its done you will find a fresh new install.wim in the new folder. :)

(Which of course includes your MAK and the language-pack now.)

EDIT:

To make a new Catalog file for the new install.wim, do this:

1) Click START / AllPrograms / Microsoft Windows AIK and open Windows System Image Manager

2) Click Tools / Create Catalog..., browse to the new install.wim located in the 'new' folder and let WSIM do its thing

You may then delete the old install.wim and the old catalog file from your flashdrive and put the new ones on

Attached Files:

• dism..7z
      File size:
      520 bytes
      Views:
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. evildave

Feb 22, 2010
    Thanks for the quick reply. Going to start the machine crunching on it now.

4. evildave

Feb 22, 2010
    First try failed because I was trying to make a 32-bit image on a 64-bit workstation (but this limitation is documented once I looked). Trying again with a 64-bit image.

5. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Yeah, its best to do this on a x86 system because that way you can process images of both architectures.

I myself always make my images on a x86 machine and so far creating a catalog has never been a problem.

In fact the errors you mentioned in your other (deleted) post were totally new to me...never saw them before...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. evildave

Feb 22, 2010
    Seems like third time was the charm. Have the USB key ready to go and will start testing it later.

7. evildave

Feb 22, 2010
    Yep, that usb key installed just fine on my test machine.

Now time to really delve into the WSIM documentation to do some trickier stuff.

Just wish that it read more like proper documentation and not like someone's working notes.