WTF is TrustedInstaller.exe doing!? Freezing systems!!

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by jellybelly, Jul 8, 2015.

1. jellybelly

jellybelly MDL Member

Oct 30, 2009
    I can't be the only one to have noticed this. What the hell is Microsoft's TrustedInstaller.exe doing lately in the background that can spike to 80%+ CPU and 50%+ RAM utilization completely freezing systems in the middle of a work day!?

Coincidentally this issue seemed to have started around the same time as the Windows 10 notification in the tray. Don't know if it's truly related though.

I've been seeing this on multiple machines, both brand new out of the box systems and reinstalled systems. All Win7 Home/Pro x64.

I can't seem to find any cause or solution. Got any suggestions or incite on this!?

Thanks.

2. andy.tay70

andy.tay70 MDL Junior Member

Dec 15, 2013
    got the same issue on windows 8.1 pro x64 doing my nut in now with constant freezing!

3. MaouKami

MaouKami MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2014
    You are not alone on this,
    Installing quite a few systems daily or even fixing them.

Some systems are quite old that i need to fix up or reinstall.
    I noticed that the systems where slowing down to a crawl,
    trustedinstaller was always one of the few that was at the top of the list that was causing it.
    I always just let it stay there for a while till it went down, then started with a restart.
    And start searching for updates for windows etc.

Though sometimes i couldn't even search for updates as it would popup right back and go on installing updates.
    On one system i had to disable auto update first, then do it by hand cause else it would just hang there unable to run anything else then just the updates it was doing.