wudfhost.exe takes up 90 percent of cpu resource (win 8.1)

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by mark1979, Jan 29, 2014.

1. mark1979

mark1979 MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2012
    so i usually dont post anything simply cause the search button provides me with most of the info i need. but couldnt really find anything about this issue.

ive never really noticed this problem before. but earlier i was randomly listening to music (while doing 20 other things on my system) and i noticed that my cpu resources were at 100 percent. that NEVER happens to me. ive had illustrator, photoshop, ableton live, and playing diablo 3 (on high res) all at the same time and the highest ive ever gotten on cpu resource was maybe 48%.

so i hop on the task manager and notice that theres this process called "windows driver foundation - user-mode driver framework host process" aka wudfhost.exe. it was running VERY high on resource compared to everything else. after trial and error and a little digging i noticed that it only happened to me when i played music through windows media player.

to make a long story shorter. after hopping google (after i couldnt really find anything on mdl) i couldnt really find a solid answer as to what i should do. so here i am.

at the moment im doing my daily routine without listening to music...ive got 3 instances of google chrome, each with several tabs open. after i saw my cpu res was still low i opened up ableton. cpu res still pretty low. opened up the diablo 3. relatively low. started listening to music. bam..100 percent.

my question is. is this a file i can turn off or delete? or is there something i can do so that it doesnt take up so much resource? here are some of the specs of my comp

i7 2.8 930
    18gb of ram (pc3 10700)
    windows 8.1 pro build 9600 (i got it from a link from one of the stickies here)
    i used kms pico (the latest one) to activate
    using the windows hotfix downloader for my updates

scanned for viruses with the latest avg. everything was good
    used malwarebytes just incase. everything was good.
    used ccleaner as well to delete all the crap cache and temp files...then restarted. everything was good..

PLEASE tell me someone can shed some light or give me a solution. ive gotten used to windows 8.1 and is now my go to. im quad booting on my system (mac osx mountain lion, win 7, win 8, win 8.1...believe it or not i do something different on each os) and i use 8.1 for all my work stuff.

thank you in advance
    mark

2. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mark1979

mark1979 MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2012
    i dont have that update installed. :(. honestly, i just noticed this was happening earlier today. i havent installed anything weird from the net or anything and im pretty good about checking for viruses and what not. and i read that if the exe file isnt in the system32 folder then it is a virus but it IS in the system32 folder. is there a way that i can disable it? or remove it?

4. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. mark1979

mark1979 MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2012
    i like to separate my media players for video and music. i know it seems kinda pointless but it helps me keep everything kind of organized you could say. i do use vlc and it absolutely nothing to my resource which is good news. i have NOT, however, tried any other media player to see if its just wmp is the only app that does this...

EDIT:
    i forgot to click on post when i initially wanted to post the above. but i downloaded the codec pack you suggested and it didnt help the resource issue. i was able to try itunes and playing music through there and it doesnt up the resource like wmp does.

this sucks cause i do use wmp for stuff. im hoping this same thing has happened to other people that have been able to fix the issue. ive read else where that people have tried to disable it but that resulted in other bigger issues.

6. BigW

BigW MDL Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Are you realy shure that you didn't cleaned your Windows into oblivion with CCleaner? Revert everything you have changed with CCleaner and look if it is better. I shurly hope you made backups of all the changes CCleaner did to your Windows.

As a last resort you have to reinstall Windows and see if it hapens again. If not you have done something (with CCleaner probatly) to your Windows-Installation which disturped windows media player very deeply.

From my experience using such tools like CCleaner do more harm than help. To install responsibliy proper and ready software on your Windows helps way more than using any of these "fixers" or "cleaners". If you throw every TCP, alpha or beta-version (especialy Visual Studio and Office) you can find at your Windows, you realy can mess up your Windows and such tools like CCleaner make it then even worse.

7. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    As a basic troubleshooting step, i would suggest running sfc /scannow

8. mark1979

mark1979 MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2012
    you know i never thought of the problem being outside of a driver issue or something with the way one of the recent updates play with windows wmp in regards to music. but with ccleaner i only really use it to clean out the temp folders and my browser history. i dont use it for the registry or anything else simply just cause of the fact that (and your right about the more harm than good) having to reformat is a pain. but yeah i did do back-ups just in case. haha. same thing with malware.

doing the scan as i type this. im hoping for the best. last time i did this i ended up having to buy a new drive.

9. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    I've used CCleaner for a few years now (along with CCEnhancer for a few months now) and haven't had it break anything. I select everything for deletion (aside from Chrome passwords), and clear out everything in the Registry cleaner.

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    @OP: You say you are quad booting (W8) also. Does the issue appear here, too?

CCleaner is highly probable not responsible IMO, how could it?
    So you have no OEM drivers installed yet? Any issues at device manager? I'd install the latest video, audio and all on-board device and main-board chipset drivers....

But best is IMHO to make a clean install, then get windows updates and then install the drivers. You might also have a look for EFI update's changelog. I personally assume a 'close to HW issue', can be wrong though...

11. Puffingmad

Puffingmad MDL Addicted

Aug 19, 2012
    Until you posted this I had not noticed any problems (haven't used wmp for a while) after reading this I have noticed i have the same problem with wmp if i use winamp or vlc cpu is fine if i use wmp near 100% cpu on my lenovo core 2 duo E6500 6gb ram and a SSD win 8.1 pro WMC x64
    I have an older lenovo running 32bit win 8.1 2gb ram and a early Pentium D and it is not a problem at all wmp not using any extra resources
    I also have an old Dell with p4 HT processor and 2 gig of ram running 32bit win 8.1 and no problems at all
    could this be a 64 bit issue ?
    the 64 bit system is a fresh install only 2 weeks old all updates applied and retail activation

@mark is you system 32 or 64 bit ?

12. P.J

P.J MDL ☂

Jul 30, 2009
    Same problem with 8.1
    When I open WMP12, WUDFHost.exe eats 25% of my CPU if I connect my portable hard disk drive :eek:

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    WUDFHost.exe is just a 'container' that represents the CPU usage of drivers. It itself is not responsible for the issue. It is highly probable that a driver on the system is either aggressive or wasting.
    It seems to appear either if wmp is used and/or a media device is connected and used via USB....
    The only thing you can do is to wait for driver updates or to try another one (native)....or to ditch wmp and use VLC...

14. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Not sure here whether it´s a bug or a feature :hmm:. Using WMC as TV-Soft and in Win 8.1 every time i connect an usb device, while watching TV, WUDFHost starts consuming lots of resources. Only solution so far is to shut down WMC (WUDFHost stops shortly after this), wait a moment and then start WMC again.

15. Luckie

Luckie MDL Junior Member

Jan 14, 2008
    try to analyze the cpu usage with guide that I found.