Sledgehammer - Windows 10 Update Control

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by pf100, Nov 28, 2016.

1. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    The task is scheduled to run at 2:01 p.m. + 5 minutes so WDU task should complete at 2:06 p.m.

2. Whistler4

Whistler4 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2015
    #1042 Whistler4, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    FYI, if it will help at all: I've been using O&O Shutup 10 since I started using Win 10, although it's gotten way too complex in choices. (Basically, I forget I'm even using it.) Just checked and the most important aspects to me that I have disabled is the telemetry. Windows Defender has the first 3 options disabled -- spynet, sample submission, and malware infection reporting -- however, Windows Defender is not disabled. (But I use Comcast's free Norton suite rather than WD.) As for Windows Update setting in Shutup, the only things checked disabled are peer-to-peer, speech updates, driver updates, and "automatic Windows updates (1 of 2)". Note that O&O Shutup 10 displays the status of these options, some of which may have been set in Shutup, some set within Windows settings, and some set by other third party apps. I think the last disabled setting I mentioned, automatic Windows updates (1 of 2), is probably the result of the WUB task.

With that said, the Task Scheduler says that the last result of WDU task is (0x1) and history says the action was competed and task was finished successfully. Specifically, at 6:01 am, the task was triggered, created, and started, and the action was started, then the launch request was ignored 4 times because instance already running. At 6:06 am, action and task were completed.

Edit: BTW, You can run O&O Shutup 10 just to see how those settings are without making any changes. Changes if you make them are saved in an ini file. Shutup is just run from explorer, not installed.

3. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    @Homer712 I just thought of something else: The WDU task through WDU.cmd checks to see if WuMgr or WUMT is running, and if so defender will not update automatically until you close them completely. You're not leaving WuMgr or WUMT running are you?

4. Homer712

Homer712 MDL Member

Oct 22, 2018
    No, click everything "close" each time. But, in the forum for WUMgr I had this exchange with a member called Carlos:

For those of us that aren't IT types, what does "Do you maybe have AllowTelemetry in the Registry set to 0?" actually mean please and where in the registry is it located.

It means if you did run anything that kills Telemetry, MS will not offer you CUs over Windows Update anymore.

The Registry key (if exists) is in
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection

Well I just checked again and IT IS SET TO ZERO (see screen shot), but I swear that after that exchange I ran O&O ShutUp 10 and put everything back to "factory reset" and that registry file went back to allow (or whatever it does, but the "0" was no longer there. I'll try the O&O ShutUp reset again and see what happens.

Attached Files:

5. Homer712

Homer712 MDL Member

Oct 22, 2018
    So I had O&O ShutUp 10 put everything back to factory defaults. The registry file "0" is now gone (screen shot) and after a reboot Wub_task also finally ran. Now I'll wait for the next scheduled run (3:01 PM) and see what happens. If it does run and the update count goes up from 125 to 126 (the Defender update that's been hanging out there but not being installed) then it's an O&O ShutUp 10 thing that seems to change that registry setting.

Attached Files:

6. Whistler4

Whistler4 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2015
    I've been getting CUs in the Windows Update app since day 1 with Telemetry disabled in O&O Shutup 10. (Most updates re-enable telemetry and I disable again.) Not sure about the behavior of WuMgr and WUMT in that regard since I know there was an issue about getting CUs with them anyway because of change in Windows Update delivery technology.

7. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Only issue due to delivery via UUP is the reported size which reflects all available UUPs and not the actual CU.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Homer712

Homer712 MDL Member

Oct 22, 2018
    Still no love! The Wub_task result still says "task has not yet run" and the Defender update that's been there since this morning is still there, uninstalled.

I'm going to try an uninstall and then reinstall. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Attached Files:

9. Homer712

Homer712 MDL Member

Oct 22, 2018
    1. Did an uninstall of WUMT. Rebooted.
    2. Ran O&O ShutUp 10 and applied "recommended" settings only. Rebooted.
    3. Ran WUMgr to insure that I had not left any of its settings messed up (not that I really changed anything to begin with). Changed "Auto Update" from "Disable" to "Automatic." Rebooted.
    4. Ran installer for WUMT and then ran the script once. Changed time interval from 6 hours to 1 hour. Rebooted.
    5. Checked "Windows Update" and it shows that I am up to date as of 1/27/19, 6:45 AM which is when I first installed WUMT.
    6. Checked Task Scheduler. Neither WDU nor Wub_task have yet run.WDU scheduled to run at 5:01 PM.
    7. Waiting! Will check Task Scheduler again at 5:15 PM.

Is there anything else that I should do or check and post that may either confirm that things are running as they should be, or possibly indicate an issue. Sorry to be taking up so much of the time/posting here, but once there are issues I can't seem to let it go until things are resolved. Retired Engineer here so I guess it's in the DNA. Wife refers to it as a disease.

Attached Files:

10. Homer712

Homer712 MDL Member

Oct 22, 2018
    Results: "Last Run Time" for both WDU and Wub_task still show "The task has not yet run" and it 5:15 PM. Next run time has changed to 6:01 PM.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection value is once again "0" and I believe this is because of O&O ShutUp 10. I will once again reset to factory default, reboot and wait for the next scheduled run.

Attached Files:

11. Homer712

Homer712 MDL Member

Oct 22, 2018
    Soon as I reset O&O ShutUp 10 to "factory defaults" and rebooted, Wub_task ran. WDU still showing as "The task has not yet run" but that's what I would expect. It's scheduled to run at 6:01 PM. Will check back later.

So one thing is certain. O&O ShutUp 10 (at least on my system) is causing Wub_task not to run.

Attached Files:

12. rpo

rpo MDL Expert

Jan 3, 2010
    #1052 rpo, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    Strange. After a reboot (or login) the wub_task is started.
    Edit : So one thing is certain. O&O ShutUp 10 (at least on my system) is causing Wub_task not to run.
    Sorry, i missed this.
    You can change the schedule time of the wdu task, so you don't have to wait.

13. Whistler4

Whistler4 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2015
    So this was never a real problem then?

14. Homer712

Homer712 MDL Member

Oct 22, 2018
    We may be actually getting somewhere . . . thinking to myself "what do you think the chance is that this WDU task is waiting for 12:01 AM to come around for the first time, and only then will it run every hour?" Worth a shot. Right click, "Run" in Task Scheduler. Ran successfully, first time ever for my system! Now it's scheduled to run again at 8:01 PM. Fingers crossed, will post back.

Attached Files:

15. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Tasks might not run correctly if Windows Time service is off. Some Anti-Telemetry tweaks might disable that service.

16. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    #1056 pf100, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    (OP)
    No. When I see an update that's obviously reported as the wrong size, I think to myself, "Okay, this update may require leaving WUMT or WuMgr running and run updates from Settings if it fails."

17. Whistler4

Whistler4 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Right. But that's a workaround. Disregarding whether reported size is correct or not, which is not material when one understands that reporting limitation, was there never a real issue about being able to install UUP CUs from within WUMT or WuMgr? If not, it's all good.

18. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    If you want to be literal and I said there was never an issue, I would be lying. But in my opinion it's not an issue at all since it's rare and I know how to handle it if it does happen. That's my way of saying it's an issue, but it's not an issue. To paint the picture a little more in an extreme example, I forget what version it was exactly, but I think I had to go from 1709 to 1803 by upgrading with an ISO. I know we're not talking about version upgrades, per se, but it's a good way for me to illustrate the problem since it's definitely UUP. 1803 (if that's what version it was) absolutely refused to install with WUMT or through Settings. 1809 installed with WUMT no problem. So the occasional CU problem is not exclusive to WUMT or WuMgr, it happens in Settings too. So UUP introduced its own set of problems in the name of reduced bandwidth. No method is immune to a UUP CU installation problem. It's just that WUMT or WuMgr handles it 98% of the time, and Settings handles it 99.9% of the time. There is no 100% method, but upgrading from ISO is as close as you'll get. So as to whether or not CU's are a problem with WUMT or WuMgr is relative. That's why I said no in response to your previous question. But the right answer could be maybe, or sometimes yes. But I'm sticking with no.

19. Homer712

Homer712 MDL Member

Oct 22, 2018
    Think I'm at my talent limit trying to figure this out. The WDU task was scheduled to run again at 8:01 PM, missed that one, then scheduled to run at 9:01 PM, missed that one, now scheduled for 10:01 PM and I'm sure that one will be missed as well. So the only time the WDU task ran successfully was when I right-clicked it in the Task Scheduler at 6:56 PM. Or, I can run the script manually (which works each and every time!) but the point is that that's not how it's meant to run.

Attached Files:

20. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Google "0x41303" and see if any solutions help. I honestly don't know what's wrong. The task is there, it's valid, it runs if you run it manually, but Task Scheduler/Windows itself won't run the task on schedule. This is not a problem cause by the script, that much I know.