Sledgehammer - Windows 10 Update Control

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by pf100, Nov 28, 2016.

1. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    #1141 pf100, Feb 18, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    (OP)
    Yes. You either install all updates or none.
    Yes. I'm sure it wouldn't update as often if you never checked, but I'm pretty sure after about 6 months you'd get a forced update. I just started doing this with a few computers, so, just a guess, it'll probably be a year before I have a good answer. I've got a laptop in storage I could set up like this with something like 1709 and just leave it online and see what it does, so I might do that.
    Edit: Really the whole point of this is to do manual updates when convenient and not so much to never update again.

2. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    #1142 pf100, Feb 19, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    (OP)
    Edit:The "set it and forget it" manual update method is unfinished. Windows still updates at will with wuauserv left on even with update hijackers disabled. I'll need to force wuauserv off and make the Windows Update shortcut turn it on before checking. Will update this post with any news.
    This post is not about the wrapper script. It's working fine.

3. Whistler4

Whistler4 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2015
    How about also not choking down everything MS throws at you. Pick and choose which updates as well as when timing. I understand, though, that can't happen without using one of "chooser" tools with the script.

4. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    It would be nice if there was a way to choose updates from the update page in Settings. That would be a game changer, but that's above my pay grade to make happen. So we're stuck with the tools we have. I do wish I could make it stupid simple for non-techies. Thanks a lot, Microsoft.

5. Whistler4

Whistler4 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Amen!

6. Homer712

Homer712 MDL Member

Oct 22, 2018
    Take this as an observation from someone who has never coded a line in his life, but, would it not be easier on you to settle on either WUMgr or WUMT and not have to provide choices?

7. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    I did a poll and the majority wants a choice of Wumt or WuMgr.

8. Whistler4

Whistler4 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2015
    I think the margin where [E] begins can stay the same for esthetics, but the [Q] should be in line with the other choices, and the explanatory line starting with "The Windows update service will be automatically . . . ." should be indented so that it doesn't break the flow of input command choices. Also, would "will be automatically started and stopped" be better worded "will start and stop automatically"? (The way you have it is not wrong.)

Looks good!

Yes, I agree.

9. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Yep, that'll fix it. Thanks.

10. AsaadSoft

AsaadSoft MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2015
    Yeah: Windows Update Wrapper Script is a better name 100%

WU Wrapper Script

11. SJMarty

SJMarty MDL Novice

Jan 30, 2019
    I am a new MDL member and as such, didn't participate in the poll. Google brought me here while looking for a way to control Windows 10 updates. I am very appreciative of the wrapper you have not only developed but diligently maintained.

Regarding the two choices, this is just my perspective so take it for what it's worth...I was a hesitant to use WUMT due to it being closed source, from an anonymous developer with no web site, and unless I've overlooked something, appears to have been last updated on 12/20/16. In any case, if having a choice between these two tools was the majority, it's good to have the option available for those who want it.

IMO, the name "Windows Update Wrapper Script" is a good one. It's both clear and concise.

Again, thank you for your work.

12. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    I think WuMgr has many advantages over WUMT for the reasons you mention and more. But I suppose there's no harm in having both since the choice is there. I think "Windows Update Wrapper Script" is a far better name, but it's as if something is missing, something distinctive that would make it stand out, but I'll stick with that if I don't think of anything better. When I change the name I hope to never have to change it again. The new script update itself is almost done, and it's a great improvement, but I have some more work in editing the documentation and some other things.
    I'm glad you like the script. I use it on all my installs, LTSB, LTSC, Pro, Home, everything.

13. Whistler4

Whistler4 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2015
    I agreed with the name change, but I see your point. It sounds like it's just an embellishment of MS Windows Update by the name alone. I'll try to give it some more thought, but at first blush I'll suggest "Custom Windows Update Wrapper Script". "Custom" in front of Windows Update signifies it's not MS stock WU. (Don't put it in front of "Wrapper Script" or you'll have lots of people asking for a tailored version.) There are other synonyms that might work -- "Special" comes to mind -- but I'll keep my initial suggestion as "Custom".

14. Lars220

Lars220 MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2018
    Just tossing out here some ideas concerning a name change for this great tool. Did David Xanatos need to change the name of WuMgr to get it into the MS Store because Microsoft does not want anyone using the term "Windows Update" ? - Maybe some new name with the word "Controller" in it, like maybe 'Controller for Windows Updates Wrapper Script" or perhaps 'Wrapper Script Controller for Updating Windows" Whistler4 "Custom" is ok, it sort of implies maybe customizing / personalizing the updates, as in using the WuMgr or WUMT to pick and choose which updates are hidden and which get installed, thats why I like / suggest "Control" we like / want Control, of the entire world eventually. NOT. just kidding. Keep the reptiles at bay though. Are you considering putting this into the MS Store like the Update Manager for Windows UMW? Then would need a good acronym, WSCUM? Starting to get too involved. just some ideas, whatever pf100 chooses will be great! Also, I like having the choice for both WuMgr and WUMT, thanks.

15. cromulant

cromulant MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2015
    WTF?! Did I just see a upfc service (on the services tab in the task manager) on a Windows 10 1809?

This game that Microsoft keeps playing is just stupid.

Is this upfc.exe still unblockable?

16. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    upfc can't force an update while using the script, so nothing to worry about.
    upfc tries to force an update if you haven't updated in ~6 months or longer.
    The script doesn't specifically block it on purpose because it causes a GSOD if I do.

17. cromulant

cromulant MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2015
    Ok, thanks.

18. liam2

liam2 MDL Junior Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Hi, anybody has tested what happens when changing "HKLM\SYSTEM\WaaS\Upfc\NextHealthCheckTime" to some years from now? Does upfc.exe respect that value?

19. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...