WWAN Option Missing in BIOS

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by LappyTamer, Mar 8, 2011.

1. LappyTamer

LappyTamer MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2011
    Hey guys. First post here. I have an HP 6910p that was running the modded BIOS to remove the WWAN whitelists. I couldn't get the card i was using to work, as i'm running Windows 7 x64, and the GOBI doesn't work with it. I turned the slot off since it wasn't being used, and then continued using the computer as usuall until my Sierra Wireless card came in. It came in, i put it in, and then upon booting, Windows couldn't detect it. Remembered i had turned the slot off in the BIOS, and went to turn it on, and i can't find the option now! It was there before i ever put any WWAN card into the computer, but now it's not even with one in it.

I've reloaded the OEM and Modded BIOS 6 times, reinstalled Windows, and even pulled the CMOS battery to try and get the option to come back... no go.

Does anyone have any idea what i need to do?

2. TTAV134

TTAV134 MDL Expert

Mar 1, 2009
    Press F10 and reset bios to factory default.

3. LappyTamer

LappyTamer MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2011
    That was the first thing i did. Didn't help.

I don't get why an option like that would just vanish...

4. LappyTamer

LappyTamer MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2011
    #5 LappyTamer, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
    (OP)
    Okay, i did all of the above, and when i checked the option, it was already set to enable...? I disabled it, set it, and restarted the machine, and the option is still gone. Got the config again, and then went down to the option, and it was still set to enabled.

Just tried again to make sure i'm not losing my mind, and same out come... any idea what might be going on?

5. LappyTamer

LappyTamer MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2011
    #6 LappyTamer, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
    (OP)
    Is there any way that i can just get the option back in the bios to enable the WWAN? Is there anything that would cause this that might be hardware related?

I'm seriously tempted to call HP, tell them that i've got the card that this computer was built to work with, and it's not working. The laptop has a backlight hum anyway, and i already had a ticket open for that, so i'm sure i could just get this added to it, send it in over Spring Break, and have it back before school starts again. I just don't want to backup everything so they can wipe the hard drive and reinstall Windows to attempt to fix a problem with the BIOS.

6. LappyTamer

LappyTamer MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2011
    Anyone have any ideas before i send this thing off?

7. TTAV134

TTAV134 MDL Expert

Mar 1, 2009
    something else,

Power off the laptop,

once done,

Press LEFT and RIGHT arrows

Press Power button,

after a couple of seconds, release power button and arrow keys,

then have a look in bios setup menu if something have changed.

8. LappyTamer

LappyTamer MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2011
    #9 LappyTamer, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
    (OP)
    I did what you said, and it did start up oddly. Power light came on for several seconds before the rest of the quick launch lit up, but nothing in the BIOS changed.

I held everything down, one power light came on on the front for a few seconds, then the other one on the button, computer POSTed after the quicklaunch buttons flashed around for a second, kept holding it down, and then the computer reset, charging light came on (even though it wasn't plugged in), then blinked, then turned off, quicklaunch flashed around, and then the volume up light stayed lit. Turned it on, volume lights flashed around, mute light blinked several times, and then it POSTed. Went into BIOS, and nothing changed :/

9. LappyTamer

LappyTamer MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2011
    Okay, the computer has been to HP, back from HP, no cake. Talked to tech support, they're insisting that my model doesn't even SUPPORT WWAN. I know this is not true, because i used a GOBI in the computer under Vista, but it wouldn't work with 7 x64. I then got the SW card that in it now, and that's when my issues arose. Does ANYONE have ANY idea what might cause the option to disappear?

10. LappyTamer

LappyTamer MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2011
    Ideas? Anyone?

11. LappyTamer

LappyTamer MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2011
    You mean the button that turns all the radios on and off? I do. It's on. I've tried that. Turned it on and off, and no change :/ Just turns the wifi and bluetooth off.

Why? Have another more in depth idea? I'm open to just about anything. If you told me jumping off a cliff might work, i'd try it!

12. LappyTamer

LappyTamer MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2011
    Yep. Still not option. That's why it's so odd. The option was there before i ever got a 3G card. That's why i got one, to use the option.

13. LappyTamer

LappyTamer MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2011
    Any other possible ideas?

14. LappyTamer

LappyTamer MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2011
    -bumpity bump bump-

15. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    What do u mean????

16. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    #19 tqhoang, Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
    @Tito - "Bump" implies that he wants to make sure this thread is at the top of the non-sticky threads.

@LappyTamer - The only thing that I can think of is that the WWAN option was available in an earlier BIOS but you upgraded before you started with the BIOS mods.

BTW, I was reading about an HP mini where the WWAN card wouldn't work without the main battery in. Is your laptop battery a genuine HP?

17. LappyTamer

LappyTamer MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2011
    That's the thing, i only started with the BIOS mods because i couldn't get it to boot with the GOBI. I don't recall ever changing the BIOS after the GOBI fiasco.

That battery is an HP battery. Albeit, an old one (1.5ish years), but a genuine.