Xbox One Controller on Windows Server 2019

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by cbptest, Jan 26, 2019.

1. cbptest

cbptest MDL Novice

Nov 28, 2017
    Hi,

I've been paying around with Windows Server 2019 and also tried to test if the Xbox controller works on it.
    Unfortunately, i didn't manage to make it work since the driver cannot be installed. I've tried multiple driver versions from Microsoft catalog, with no success. It doesn't work if connected wired or wireless (via Xbox Wireless Adapter dongle or Bluetooth).

The curios part is that on Windows Server 2016, it worked without any issues and without any additional drivers.

Have some of you guys succeeded in making it work?

Thanks

2. Zana Keene

Zana Keene MDL Novice

Feb 3, 2018
    seems it doesn't work, i tried with microsoft's wireless adapter and wired with an xbox one elite controller and no success, it doesn't even find the drivers.
    copying the driver files from a desktop windows 10 installation matching the same build does not work aswell

3. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
  4. cbptest

cbptest MDL Novice

Nov 28, 2017
    I've made a little bit of progress by taking the drivers from a Win 10 LTSC 2019 and put them in Win Server 2019. Modified the .inf file and installed them by disabling driver signature.
    The controller shows like it's connected (via wired cable) and the Xbox logo no longer blinks, but still, in Device Manager it shows a warning; even though on driver details i have the same drivers as on 2019 LTSC.
    It also says that the information in registry is incomplete.

Ideas?

5. JohnFlower

JohnFlower MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2015
    For usb connected controller:
    Uninstall and delete any drivers asscociated with device
    Go to Microsoft Update Catalog and search 'xbox one controller dfu'
    Make sure you download the AMD64 flavour... click the title to find out which is which
    Install.

Same method may work for the wireless adapter. I don't have one to test~

6. Nunz

Nunz MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2019
    Use x360ce or VIGEm. Paperspace uses VIGEm for their Windows Server 2016 machines, and it appears to work well.

7. onox16

onox16 MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2017
    #7 onox16, Jul 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    Hello,

as I was facing the same issue, and this page appeard in the first results of the Google pages, I will post a solution that has worked for me.

I was able to successful pair two XBOX one Bluetooth controller with my Windows Server 2019 computer. Both controller work fine.

First of all:
    I have had the original XBOX Bluetooth adapter, which works fine with Windows 10, but doesn't work with Windows Server 2019. I have tried many things, I did not get it to work. Microsoft has designed this product, to dont work with Windows Server. So if you have this adapter too, you need to get a new one. I have bought first a cheap one from Amazon, which did not work with Windows Server, so I bought a second one with Windows Server 2019 support.

I think many Bluetooth adapters could work, but right now I can confirm that "StarTech Mini USB Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter - Class 1 Bluetooth Wireless Dongle - 50m" did work for me. StarTech article number USBBT1EDR4.

So if you have a Bluetooth adapter, that is not the original XBOX adapter and the XBOX one Bluetooth controller, we can start!

1. Plug in the Bluetooth adapter. There is no driver needed, you should see immediately that there is a Bluetooth icon in your taskbar. I was confused, as the device manager shows "unknown device" with an exclamation mark, but its working.

2. Click on your Bluetooth Icon in the taskbar, Windows settings will open. Turn your controller on, the XBOX logo is blinking. Press the pair button on your controller, the icon is blinking really fast. In the Windows settings click on "Add Bluetooth device", select the first option (just "Bluetooth"), not the third (althrough it would make more sense). Your controller should appear on the list, click on it to pair. Now your controller should appear inside the device list. But the icon on the controller should blink slowly, and not solid (like it should if a connection was successful). Repeat this step for every controller.

3. Open the device manager again, and you should see now that the XBOX controller is listed there, but with a white questionmark. Now you need to manually install the right driver for this device. I was unsure how I was able to find the correct one, maybe there are more drivers that could work. But I did it with a driver package from HP for a laptop... The driver package is called "sp79350" and its 401mb big. This was the only driver working for me, this is the deeplink to HP: (I connot post links with my account, sorry) h t t p : / / f t p . h p . c o m / p u b / s o f t p a q / s p 7 9 0 0 1 - 7 9 5 0 0 / s p 7 9 3 5 0 . e x e If this isn't available anylonger, please use Google to find it.

4. Click on the setup.exe of the driver, you will be asked for a directory to extract. Just extract the driver, there is no need to run the actually setup. After you have extracted it, you can delete the setup.

5. Now you need to turn off the needed "driver signature". You can either reboot your PC and press F8 while your computer is booting, to select the option "disable driver signature". Maybe you need a few tries. Or you can run these commands in CMD: "bcdedit /set nointegritychecks on" and "bcdedit /set testsigning on". After you entered them, reboot.

6. After you have successfully bootet Windows in the "disabled driver signature"-mode open the device manager, select the XBOX controller with the white question mark with a right click. Manually install the driver, select the directory that was created by the "sp79350.exe". You get a message that this driver has no valid signature, click on install anyways. Repeat this for every controller.

7. Now you are almost done. Go back to the Bluetooth settings and remove every controller, then pair it again like decribed in step 2. The XBOX icon should now light solid and your controller should work.

8. Now you can enable the driver signature check again. Reboot to normal mode, or run the following commands in CMD: "bcdedit /set nointegritychecks off" and "bcdedit /set testsigning off". After you entered them, reboot.