XP activate help please

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Blaq, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Blaq

Blaq MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2011
    Hi I'm sorry if I am going about this the wrong way or if I am missing the thread with the info I need. Its not an excuse but I am dyslexic and I have a hard time reading but I've searched for days and can't find what I need.

I'm trying to fix my mothers computer that is screwed up. I had to put a new motherboard in it. It had an HP so I branded the bios but it wont activate and when I run the tests it lists a few things but cd4e1902 seems to be what is needed (If that makes sense).

I can only run it in safe mode because of the activation thing, and I can't find the files needed to fix this. I understand if this is one of those things you can't post but if it is please let me know you can't.

Oh it's home edition

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. Blaq

Blaq MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2011
    It wasn't connecting to the internet but I reset the 30 day and got it to download the files thanks. Strange thing is the activate windows thing wont run and oobe check just pops up for a sec so I cant read it.. I guess in 30 days I will know if it worked.

4. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    If it didnt work you will get nags to activate. Was there a hack placed or AntiWPA, cause this will cause the oobe check not to run. repair install may also work to restore any files corrupted or lost.

check the oobe timer with the manual command from run..

oobe/msoobe /a

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Blaq

Blaq MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2011
    30 days later and it's back. oobe doesn't work "is not recognized". this is an old install that came on an HP that needed to have the MB changed twice sense and I can't remember how it was made to activate before. I know I should and probably will have to reinstall but that means days of forcing windows 95 programs to run under xp with out having install disks again. I tried installing over windows as a repair but the install didnt have the normal options that I thought it would and it didnt fix it if it installed properly.

Gawd I hate my life why couldnt I have been better @ sports and getting drunk or had one of those moms that would say things like "I love you and I will go a little out of my way to try and make it easier on you".

6. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #6 911medic, Mar 15, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
    :eek::eek::eek:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    That is seriously ***** up install, so just get yourself nice clean copy of XP & do it from scratch

8. Blaq

Blaq MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2011
    I think I may have this figured out... Could this be because the HD came from an HP computer and the recovery partition is blocking XP install from seeing the installed os? If so would tossn the hd into a win 7 puter deleting the recovery and extending the os partition fix it?

BTW no matter how good I do a new install she always finds something to tell me how I messed it all up and now the universe will implode thats why Im working so hard to fix instead of doing the right thing and reinstalling.

9. haroldstein

haroldstein MDL Novice

Apr 16, 2013
    You said you have a HP computer, why not get a Restore disk from
    the manufacture. I did the same with my Compaq Presario, paid $27.00 unit now is back like from the Factory, works great.

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Restore disk some people prefer a clean installation without all the bloatware. And it only take a few minutes to make OEM:SLP cd.