XP Boot Loader

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by tusharkalbhor, Jul 9, 2010.

1. tusharkalbhor

tusharkalbhor MDL Junior Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Hi evryone,
    i had Windows xp sp2. then i installed Ubuntu. so my pc started to bootup using ubuntu's GRUB loader. after some time, i formatted linux partitin from XP. Result was i was unable to boot at all. so i decided to reinstall XP. while reinstalling, i created one single parition of (linux ext3+swap+xp ntfs). now when my pc boots, it shows 2 Microsoft Windows XP OSs on my system. I can shose first one, if i chose 2nd, it cant boot.
    can i rectify this???
    my system:
    AMD Sempron 3200+
    Asus M2N68-AM PLUS
    Seagate 160GB SATA
    512MB DDR2@800MHz

2. timster

timster MDL Senior Member

Aug 23, 2009
    you will have to edit the file 'boot.ini' in the root of the C: drive (it's hidden, so when you open Windows Explorer, type C:\boot.ini in the address bar and it will open

[boot loader]
    timeout=3
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

delete any other OS entries after partition(1)

then reboot and you'll be taken straight to XP and not see a boot menu

3. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Yea, I agree with timster but be careful because if you delete the wrong entry then you won't be able to boot the good XP anymore lol

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. tusharkalbhor

tusharkalbhor MDL Junior Member

Jul 9, 2010
    thanks..that worked!
    @Sam:: thns for that word of precaution, I copied that boot file to another drive before editing...

5. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #5 911medic, Jul 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
    Next time instead of repair install of windows, and to avoid the double OS reference..repair the MBR and bootloader with "fixboot' and "fixmbr" from the recovery console off the install disc...not difficult and can probably be googled for more info..

If you still would like the Ubuntu OS, try to use WUBI..it is trouble free...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...