XP Desktop Icons !!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Focusman, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Focusman

Focusman MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2010
    Does anyone know how to stop the desktop icons changing positions when changing users in XP. This has just started to happen and all settings are identical i.e align to grid, display properties etc:

2. Focusman

Focusman MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2010
    XP Desktop Icons

Thanks for the tip and download link, unfortuneately my icons still move after switching identities after downloading the fix

3. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Thats happening cos each account has a separate desktop folder. if you login as administrator you should be able to look at the folders in Documents and Settings. Each of those folders has a hidden file called 'desktop.ini' that contains info about where and howthe icons are arranged etc. Unhide hidden files and file extensions in Folder Options in Control panel, then copy one ini to the other desktop folder.

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Nice reply venu, I remember a member good few months back that made a script to delete desktop.ini files. :D for the life of me I couldn't understand why I knew what desktop.ini files do and for all the space they take up :)

5. Focusman

Focusman MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2010
    Thanks for that but after revealing files I cannot find the "desktop.ini" extension in any user a/c desktop settings........could that be the problem and if so where do I get it
    Cheeers for the advice

6. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Logon into your account.

1.In any Windows Explorer window, click Tools → Folder Options…
    2.Click on the View tab.
    3.Uncheck radio button next to “Do not show hidden files and folders”.
    4.Uncheck box next to “Hide protected operating system files (recommended)”.
    5.Click OK

That'll show up the desktop.ini for that user, copy and paste into other users desktop.

7. Focusman

Focusman MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2010
    Thanks, done that and hidden files are shown ie NATUSER Dat File and ntuser.dat but definitely no "destop.ini". Any more suggestions......Cheers

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Are you looking on C:\ you should be looking at desktop. for desktop.ini

9. Focusman

Focusman MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2010
    Both desktop and C cant find it anywhere even tried using search option

10. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Try shutting down and restarting.

11. Focusman

Focusman MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2010
    Tried shutting down system restore and hard boot but still can't find desktop.ini file anywhere

12. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Give this a shot. In regedit, go to this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

Right-click on ShowSuperHidden and select Modify.

Change the value to 1 and click OK to save your changes.

Also SuperHidden:REG_DWORD:1-enable

Then, take a look in your user folder or check desktop.

13. pepe80

pepe80 MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2010
    Thanks for the tip

14. Focusman

Focusman MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2010
    #15 Focusman, Oct 25, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
    (OP)
    Found out that this is a glitch in XP which Microsoft have rectified in Windows 7..........but there is a solution............if anyone else has this trouble download a freeware program call ICONOID. Instal and set it up to save the desktop, hide when running and everything is hunky dory (has to be set up on each user)........and then the best thing to do is create a short cut in every users start up file so it works automatically. I have been running it for a week now and it definitely works

THANKS to everyone who tried to sort it for me