XP Home not Booting Up

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Parry, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Parry

Parry MDL Junior Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Hi,

I have a HP Laptop dv1326ap pre-installed with XP Home. Week back my father switched it off normally & after that Windows is not booting up.

On pressing the power button, the HP Logo comes up & then screen goes black. Tried starting windows to 'Last Known Good Configuration' by pressing F8, but no luck. Ironically, it did not come with any XP Disk & the restore disks have also not been created. Have tested the RAM as one of the doubts but its okay.

Please assist.

2. DesertJerry

DesertJerry MDL Novice

Apr 11, 2010
    Then the issue now is to use the hidden restore partition to reinstall the XP Home in its original configuration. As the system boots try CTRL F11 - (the method a friend uses to get to his hidden partition). If that does not work check your owner's manual and/or provided info from HP; or call their tech support for access key strokes.

3. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Just download a XP home iso (torrent sites or I think there are links on this forum too), burn to cd, boot to recovery console off the cd and run recovery/repair from there.

4. Parry

Parry MDL Junior Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Advance Startup is accessible by pressing F8. Tried F11 nothing happened.

Have that in mind as the next step. But the only thing that's stopping me is that as it was being used by my father don't really remember which SP was it last on. Which OS should I use in this case?

5. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    It really woudnt matter but it says *.spx where x is either 1,2 or 3. Ill continue uploading to mirror today.

6. Parry

Parry MDL Junior Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Thanks tcntad for XP Home SP3, should I boot with it & do upgrade install???

7. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    I woudnt know for sure and a clean install is always best but im sure you have files you want to keep
    so if you can, just repair windows xp and see if that works.

8. bAiLeY

bAiLeY MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2009
    Hi, you`ve probably sorted this out by now but if not...
    Get a copy of xp pro, boot from it and choose the R option to repair.
    In the command box that opens, choose your installation ( it will be listed 1 or 2 etc )
    Press enter when asked for a password. Now type chkdsk /r c:
    When finished type exit. When the system restarts keep pressing F8 and go into safe mode to load with basic drivers.
    Now reboot as normal.
    This will cure the looping system 99% of the time.
    Good luck