XP I thought I'd never use you again!

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Wiired, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Wiired

Wiired MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2014
    Please help if you can.

I have a laptop with XP PRO (serial underneath) and have the vendors recovery CDs (XP PRO SP2) which work.
    I also have a genuine MSDN VL XP PRO SP3 CD which works fine for VL installs.

The laptop has a problem where the wireless card doesn't work unless I reinstall fresh a bare Windows XP PRO SP3 install. The vendors OEM install is slow breaks and is outdated so it's no good to me.

For this reason I want to make a fresh custom OEM XP SP3 installation CD for my laptop.

I have read a few threads on this and wasn't sure of which is the current or correct method. Some say just to change the CD to an OEM Pid in the SETUPP.INI for example.

Questions:
    1. What is required for me to convert VL XP PRO SP3 to OEM XP SP3?
    2. I would like to do this as manually, will the files I need be obtainable from the XP PRO SP2 recovery CD?
    3. I would also like to archive updates since XP PRO SP3 what is the best way to do this and get the installation order correct? Manual method please.

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
  4. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    @tnx
    Your making 3 folders:
    1....one called "files" for extracted ISO
    2....one called "updates" where you placed the updates and script
    3.... and one called "1" in C. What is this for and what did you put in it????

Maybe this is why you got errors??

5. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    I see, no sorry I have not explained it right..

C:\1\Files also

C:\1\updates.

"Files" and "updates" are in the same folder called "1" which is at the root of "C"...

Hope this explains it better...

my bad..;)

I have just installed XP onto my Z77 machine. Just about to update all the drivers and get it running smoothly then I will test out that script.

6. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    That's what I was thinking but just wanted to make sure. I tried this out with 8 updates and it works. You may just want to add to this line so you don't have to say OK to each update:D

FOR %%f IN (*.exe) DO "%%f" /Passive /norestart /n /Integrate:C:\1\Files

7. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    That sounds good. Will definatly try it.

Thanks very much.

8. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Well, been a busy little boy and tested this out.

I downloaded using W.U.D all the Xp SP3 x32 updates I could.

Set the script going but had it so I would have to click YES to continue after each one. But I kept getting various error messages.

So I started from the begining with a fresh set of XP files and I went through each and every update one at a time.
    Took a bit of doing I can tell you. With each error I left the update out and with each success I copied the update file to a new folder.

I ended up with a folder containing 139 updates.

So I started again with a fresh set of XP files which had a "Size On Disc" of 599mb.
    I amended the script to allow silent install, no YES had to be clicked at all.
    Each and every update integrated faultlessly.

The image grew to "size On Disc" of 897mb.

So adding updates in this manner works out pretty well.
    Yet to test out an install of this but I feel pretty confident it would work.

Was fun. Suppose now slipstreeming WMP11 and the latest I.E is needed...

Hope this info helps out the OP. :cool:

9. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    #11 oldsh_t, Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
    @tnx
    First let me say that you should always install the latest things into XP first, (IE8 WMP11 Framework etc.) before installing the updates. With W.U.D you will get all the updates that are intended for the latest stuff. XP came with IE6 so you will get errors if you try to install the IE8 updates

Well I don't think all the updates went in. The /Passive /norestart /n I suggested only shows the extraction of the update and nothing else, so the errors you were getting before would not show up, the script will just go to the next update, making you think that it got installed. Should try to install the ones that got an error, manually. You may get an explanation as to why they will not install.

10. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Right. Ok.. I understand what your saying.

What I may try then is to add I.E 8 and WMP 11 only then test how that works. Then try adding the rest of the updates.

Thanks for this bit of info.

I never tested an install, I sort of got side tracked into summet else. Which does happen quite a lot. Well, I never did set out to make an up to date as possible XP image but here I am.;)

11. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007