XP Mode for Server 2008 R2

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by MrChris, Jun 24, 2009.

1. MrChris

MrChris MDL Addicted

Jun 23, 2007
    With XP Mode in Windows 7 this makes most of our compatibilty issues go away in the x64/x86 area, At least it does for me, Most not all.

I know that Server 2008 has Hyper-V ect.. But can you use XP Mode type functionality in 2008 Server or the R2 Build?

I would love to run 2008 or 2008 R2 if I can install an older app inside the VM and use the integration features to allow for better compatibilty like you would in Windows 7 with XP Mode configured.

VMWare has its Unity Mode (wich is kinda like the same thing) XP Mode is actualy pretty fast/smooth for the most part.

I have 8GB Ram on my rig and kinda have to use the x64 version of either 2008/Vista/W7 and often run some older apps that dont jive well with W7 or the fact that the OS is x64bit. So for me XP Mode is a major must have.

Any Ideas?

MC

2. MrChris

MrChris MDL Addicted

Jun 23, 2007
    Wow. I didnt think that I was really the only person interested in this! But then again iv seen stranger $hit happen.

This would be a great benefit for people that run server 2008 but need to run xp based apps.

MC

3. Ytterbium

Ytterbium MDL Novice

Apr 18, 2009
    I can't see why XP mode wouldn't work in R2, I doubt it will work in 2k8.

I'm sure you'll have to hack the installer as it's not a supported configuration.

4. Staj

Staj MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2009
    Bump

Anyone tried this yet or is hacking installer necessary? I am downloading vm module and xp mode for w7x64 ultimate and will try installing on server 2008 r2 standard soon, so ill let u know.

5. genuineintel

genuineintel MDL Member

Apr 28, 2009
    I've asked how to use XPM in 2008R2 when Win7 RTM leaked. Nobody was interested in this and my post was even got deleted. :confused:

6. Staj

Staj MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2009
    Bump

Well that's not good. I am quite interested in knowing if I can run XP mode on my server 2008 R2 as some programs require more than the simple compatibility mode option. I might just take the plunge and try to install it and then get back to you guys but if anyone has allready done it that would be good to know cuz I don't wana mess up the server as it has my database on it. I've downloaded the virtual update and the xp mode for windows 7 ultimate, maybe it will install but if not ill need someone to crack the installer for me.

7. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    no it doesn't work. Server 2008 R2 is a server OS not a workstation OS quit trying to make it one.

8. yngdiego

yngdiego MDL Member

Feb 14, 2008
    Just get VMware Workstation 7.0.

9. yulaw

yulaw MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2007
    #9 yulaw, Dec 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  10. MrChris

MrChris MDL Addicted

Jun 23, 2007
    I kinda like VirtualBox Seamless mode running XP/Vista onstop of 2008 r2. it kinda serves the same purpose.

~MC

11. kibkalo

kibkalo MDL Addicted

Sep 8, 2009
    XP Mode is just a VM (VHD file) for Windows Virtual PC.
    So the question is, how to hack .msu file and to install Windows Virtual PC на Windows Server 2008 R2. Just copy XP Mode VHD later and use it..

Any ideas about twaeking Windows Virtual PC are welcome. Please, *forget* about &#ware for a while, here is the Windows Virtual PC and XP Mode question.

12. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    YOU CANT USE WINDOWS VIRTUAL PC ON SERVER 2008 R2, THAT IS THE PURPOSE OF HYPER-V. Editing the MSU will install it and bork your server. f**k if you even don't want to edit the MSU extract the thing and then install the cab using pkgmgr. The components for Windows Virtual PC are built into 7 not Server 2008 R2, so even installing the cab won't work.

13. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Could not diagree more. Hyper-V is no way comparable to XP Mode
    Sure, they both run other OS but Hyper-V does NOT do the seemless part

sebus

14. alien2xx

alien2xx MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2009
    a Perfect example on why XP mode would be usefull..

W2k8 r2 (64-bit) server running terminal services (Remote Desktop Services now).
    Trying to install "Remote applications" so some users that login using Remote Desktop services can run such applications without the need of using the "Desktop"
    Such applications need a underlying software (sybase Open client)
    Sybase Open client does not run under 64-bit OS so a 32-bit OS needs to be installed... nor can be run on a remote machine, so it needs to be installed locally where the applications are run.
    So you install XP mode with the Sybase open client and the applications installed..
    users can run the application from the "Remote Desktop Services" and they dont know how its done.

This is why it would be perfect to be able to use it under Windows server 2008 R2 (64-bit) OS.

Plain Virtual PC 2007 does not allow to run an application the same way that XP mode would.

Any suggestion if any other alternative way can be used to accomplish this?

15. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    WRONG, WRONG AND WRONG some more. Learn about what does the seemless integration before you go talking about Virtual PC and Hyper-V. You could not be more wrong in the statement.

RemoteAPP is what does the seemless integration NOT Windows Virtual PC, you might want to read some more on that before you go posting wrong information. The seemless integration with Win7/Server 2008 R2 can be achieved using Hyper-V because VDI requires it, and if you set up TS right you can use your VDI boxes to do remoteapp too. Thus providing the seemless integration you are talking about.

16. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    App-V or RemoteApp. If you are going to install a Server live with the fact that you are now tied to using Server level applications. Like I said before the "seemless integration" of XP mode is nothing but RemoteApp. You guys must not have read the white paper explaining this or else you would already know that apps are broadcast from the VM to the Desktop using RemoteApp.

17. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    #17 sebus, Dec 12, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
    Thanks, will certainly read. I am full Vmware shop, so the MS Servers (and Hyper-V) are not that important to me
    And that will not work, if your core network is based on something that is NOT AD... like Novell eDirectory

BUt even we we now know how it is done, I do not think it would help alien2xx in any way
    He needs to run XP with XP dependant program in seemless way

RemoteApp will allow users to run application in seemless mode if they client is:
    # Windows Server 2008
    # Windows Vista with Service Pack 1
    # Windows XP with Service Pack 3

but (and it is crucial here!!!!)

For a program to run as a RemoteApp program, the terminal server that hosts the program must be running Windows Server 2008 / R2

So the program that he needs to run, will NOT run on Server 2008 / R2 x64, hence the solution is unusable in that situation

sebus

18. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
  19. MrScience101

MrScience101 MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2010
    VGA planets! Oh no! 16 bit windows applications don't run on 2008 R2. No worries, install XP mode! Ah crap, the first download works setting up the partition, but the second one (Virtual PC) doesn't like server 2008 at all. Oh wait, that's because it is a watered down version of Hyper-V. There is no way to hack 2008 to use xp mode, it simply wasn't made for it. It is possible to run a virtual machine under hyper-V that runs windows xp, which is what I did to enable me to play vga planets once again. But like all virtual machines, it is laggy. It is certainly not as spiffy as xp mode, but it works. Alas you still have to install the operating system, activate, etc. Although they offer snapshots so rather than dialing microsoft I may just live off a snapshot.