XP Mode

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ZaForD, Apr 26, 2009.

1. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
  2. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    Not yet. They will be probably released as an extra (like the Live package).
    When they are released you will know it for sure :)
    Besides - there are very few appz that refuse to work with Vista/7 completely.
    Most of them can run via some compatibility hacks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    this is a very good move by MS. I think that client side hardware virtualization is a great step forward. The ability to only have it available on Pro,Ultimate, and Enterprise seems to coincide with the downgrade rights offered by those versions. This is a big move by MS in the compatibility game, but at the same time it gives companies a way to keep legacy apps but keep moving forward with security and innovation.

4. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    I sure hope so. :D

Strangly enough, the one thats giving me the most problems (though it is getting better with each new buid) is Virtual PC

Or is it a tactic to stop these Business users from Downgrading. :)

But as you say its a very good move by MS.
    The only thing i'm still a little unsure about, is how will this impact the licences of the legacy software. ?

5. ValkyrieLenneth

ValkyrieLenneth MDL Novice

Apr 26, 2009
    It's just a Virtual PC Pack... I'm not really interested ...

6. kocoman

kocoman MDL Senior Member

May 16, 2007
    It also means many have to upgrade to c2d because it needs VT-x support. no money left after buying win7..

7. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    Well - it's meant ony for the business / IT-pro purposes anyway.
    I use Win7 as my main OS since build 7048 (dual-booted on builds 7000 and pre-7000)
    and I haven't saw one application that refuses to run on the latest build 7100 (except maybe some poorly written Norton appz which I don't use anyway).
    If you use apps that are only working in XP that means :
    -These appz are really old, and if you don't want to upgrade them, and if you don't own C2D by now there seems to be no point on upgrading to Win7.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    I've worked for a couple of companys that use "in house" software, for which there is no "upgrade path" and that it would cost way to much to re-wite.
    Their only real soution is to run it on the OS it was written on.
    (As you say, the software is Poorly Written)

The other thing to bare in mind is most companys, buy the cheapest Desktop and Laptop replacements they can. Which usually means minimum RAM and either Celeron or Pentium D CPUs.
    And don't forget that the lastest budget C2D's don't support VT either.

So as kocoman says I think alot of companys won't be able to use this feature for a long while yet. :(

9. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    Well - it's still better this than nothing ? :D
    Anyway - kudos to MS for a great pro-consumer move.
    The one thing that gives me some headache - what kind of overhead and added requirements will the apps need to run under the XP-Mode ?
    I mean - ram usage of (for example) MS Word 2003 running in native vs. XP-Mode.

10. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    @PrEzi,
    I agree, its a great move by MS and will solve most of the compatibilty problems with Windows 7 and on. :)

I don't think RAM will be a problem, as XP shipped with around 256MB and Vista/7 ships with around 2GB.

I'm using XP Pro + Office2003 in VPC 2007 on my 1GB Netbook which is running Windows 7. This all runs fine till I get the "Processor Error" I've been getting from day one. :(

I was hoping that was down to VPC and the Atom CPU, but now I think it could be the lack of VT. :(

11. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    Yeaeh, but let's say you need to run 5 threads of XP-enabled apps. Then the overhead in the ram usage could lead to ram shortage on a 2GB system.

12. Gyrxiur

Gyrxiur MDL Junior Member

Feb 7, 2008
    where did you got that?

13. mychaelo

mychaelo MDL Junior Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Billy Gates just walked by my house, so he gave me this thing to play with.
    Actually one good person, which leaked 7068 and 7077, gave me this to test it myself personally (not for sharing, sry).
    Don't worry, you'll get even newer one later this week (or maybe next, but we hope for an earlier date).

BTW, the VT capability of your CPU is needed to run it. Intel C2D 6xxx and 8xxx have it, 7xxx not.

14. resident21

resident21 MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2009
    What about grapgic card and sound cards on virtual XP ? Can we use them or emulated craps like virtual pc 2007 ?

15. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    mychaelo - could you please check and confirm what kind of emulation is done. Doesn at least DirectDraw been emulated ? Or maybe Direct3D too ?
    What about Direct Sound ? EAX ?

16. bedrock

bedrock MDL Member

Nov 16, 2007
    #17 bedrock, Apr 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  17. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    The 'T' CPUs are mobile chips, Mychaelo is talking about the E7xxx's the most common Desktop CPU's. :(

18. cigolo_

cigolo_ MDL Novice

Sep 26, 2007
    Hi all, the emulataor is a new version of M$ Virtual PC 2007 SP1? This emulator has got 3D capabilities like OpenGL or DirectX?
    Regards,

cigolo

19. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    This kind of question has been asked by me in an earlier post (about the emulation capabilities) - we don't know the answer yet.