XP moved to new PC

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Docfxit, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Docfxit

Docfxit MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2010
    I'd like to find XP slipstreamed with sata drivers.

I purchased a Lenovo desktop with Win7 pro pre loaded. I'd like to have my old XP running in a dual boot. I have partitioned and restored my old XP with a lot of programs installed onto the sata hard drive that came with this 5498-cto. I'm getting an error saying "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt"
    <Windows Root>\system32\hal.dll.

I think I need to get the XP Pro install CD to get to the recovery console. I tried booting up with XP pro sp2 install CD and I get a STOP 0x0000007B. I tried changing the bios SATA controller to compatibility mode but it doesn't have that in the BIOS. When booting up the install CD it says you can press F6 to install drivers. It keeps telling me there is no floppy connected to this PC. I did connect a floppy. I did enable it in the BIOS. I also tried an IBM USB floppy.

I think I need to find a copy of XP Pro sp2 install CD slipstreemed with SATA drivers.

Could someone please help me figure out a solution?

Thank you,

Docfxit

2. dewot

dewot MDL Junior Member

Apr 25, 2008
    If those are USB floppies, they don't work during the XP install. The floppy must be connected to a floppy port in the machine and seen as drive a: . There is a way to make an external usb floppy work in some instances that involves changing device ID's, but I'll assume they don't apply here.

Try here for a good overview of slipstreaming your drivers with Nlite:http: --www--.msfn.org/board/topic/107504-integration-of-intels-sata-ahci-and-raid-drivers/
    (Sorry not enuf posts for direct links). You can get the drivers you need there as well. I slipstreamed my drivers into my install CD - it's not all that hard with Nlite.

Afterwards, you can just install XP from your CD, AHCI enabled.

3. Docfxit

Docfxit MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2010
    #3 Docfxit, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
    (OP)
    That worked excellent. I found the correct SATA controller driver and created a slipstream XP. XP setup didn't crash with the Stop 0x0000007B this time.

I did an XP repair install. The only choice it suggested was on G:

After it was finished it booted, brought up the XP welcome screen for two seconds and then re-booted.
    I went into the repair console. There was choices:
    1. G: Windows
    2. F: WINDOWS
    3. D: WINDOWS

The only administrator password I could get into was D:
    I figured out:
    G: Win7
    D: XP (that I need to recover)
    E: Data drive
    H: Lenovo recovery partition

So if the partitions run true to form I performed a repair install with an XP Pro CD on Win7. I'm not concerned about that because I have a backup.
    After getting into the repair console I ran chkdsk /r on D:
    Then I ran a repair install again. It brought up D: this time.
    When it was finished it re-booted. The XP screen came up for one second and re-booted.

Now I have no idea what to try next.

I am able to boot into Win7 just fine.
    When I boot into D: XP I get:
    Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    <Window root>\system32\hal.dll.
    Please re-install a copy of the above file.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Docfxit

4. regal

regal MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    To get XPSP3 to install on my latest MB (H67) I had to slipstream the Intel RST drivers using nlite. Since the new Intel H67 motherboards don't have a floppy port I'd say that M$ is no longer really supporting XP as without nlite you basically can't install XPSP3 on the latest intel hardware.

5. Docfxit

Docfxit MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2010
    In an effort to repair the Hal.dll file I went into the recovery console and ran:
    Bootcfg /Rebuild
    Fixboot

When I re-booted the PC I got the Stop error 0x00000007B once again.

I tried running a repair install again. This time it found XP on the C: drive. It was looking better.
    After it finished it started to boot into XP, The welcome screen came up for one second and then it re-boot.

At this point I'm guessing there is another driver it needs but I have no idea what that might be.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Docfxit

6. starams5

starams5 MDL Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. dewot

dewot MDL Junior Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Docfxit, there is a problem with your post.

First, you said "I did an XP repair install. The only choice it suggested was on G:" So here you are saying you installed XP to G:.

Next, you say "I figured out:
    G: Win7
    D: XP (that I need to recover)
    E: Data drive
    H: Lenovo recovery partition" -- So here you say XP is on D: But Windows 7 is on G: which contradicts what you say above.

Also just above that you say "I went into the repair console. There was choices:
    1. G: Windows
    2. F: WINDOWS
    3. D: WINDOWS" -- This says there are actually three Windows installs, not two.

So, you need to do a couple of things:

1. Back up your data drive. You need to be sure your data files are safe in case something goes really wrong here. If you have data files in your Windows 7 partition, back 'em up.

2. Question: Do you need to save your XP install because you have data files you need to save that are stored there? Or is it really going to be ok if you delete your XP install because all it really means is you have to re-install XP from your slipstreamed CD? You appear to have made two XP installs so I think you will want to delete one, but I would not do that just yet.

3. Boot into windows 7 and tell us here what drive it says it is on.

4. Are any of these partitions on an external drive? Just asking to be sure.

Most of what I think you need to do can be done from within Windows 7. But you need to move slowly as I would expect Windows 7 to be on the C: partition which you have not listed above.
    Not a major problem, just don't want to break the windows 7 install.

8. Docfxit

Docfxit MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2010
    #8 Docfxit, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
    (OP)
    When I did the repair install it looked like it went through the regular screens. After I changed the Active partition and tried to boot into Win7 I expected to get XP and have to restore Win7. That didn't happen. Win7 was fine. Evidently when an XP repair install is done pointing to WIN7 XP install must be smart enough not to touch Win7.

I have the Win7 partition backed up and the XP partition. The only thing I haven't backed up is the security partition that goes with Win7.

My XP install came from a different hard drive that has data and programs installed. I have backed it up from the other drive and restored it to the new drive.

When I boot into Win7 the XP partition that I am trying to get running is on F:

No.

I have removed what looked like an XP install which had nothing in it on one partition.
    I have removed the EasyBCD that was confusing the issues. Currently in order to get to either Win7 or XP I am changing the partition that is active. I have also removed entries in the BOOT.INI to clear up confusion.

So I'm anxious to hear how I can get XP booted up.

Thanks,

Docfxit

9. dewot

dewot MDL Junior Member

Apr 25, 2008
    I have not migrated an installed system to a new PC such as you are attempting. So I may run out of ideas pretty quickly. Maybe there are a couple of people here that have done this that can chime in.

That said, you performed a repair install using an Nlited disk with AHCI drivers which seems to have worked because you got all the way to the XP Welcome screen. But then it crashed.

I have had bad graphics drivers crash in just that manner, and since you are trying to start XP here with your old driver it could be the problem. I would see if you get lucky trying to boot into safe mode - it may just work - using F8 (Networking disabled). If safe mode works, then you can install the Lenovo video drivers from there. With luck, you will be able to reboot all the way into XP after the install.

Let us know!

10. Docfxit

Docfxit MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2010
    Thanks for the reply.

I have tried getting into safe mode many times. It reboots after one second just like regular mode.
    I have tried turning on boot logging. It doesn't create the ntbtlog.txt file in C:\Windows on the XP drive.
    I have tried selecting VGA mode from the F8 key.
    I have tried adding "/basevideo /bootlog /sos" without the quotes with and without /fastdetect to
    1. Startup in vga mode.
    2. Create the ntbtlog.txt file.
    3. Stop on every driver it loads.
    It doesn't stop on each driver and it doesn't create the ntbtlog.txt file

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="DocfxitXP" /basevideo /bootlog /sos /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

I'm interested in any other suggestions someone might have.

Thanks,

Docfxit

11. dewot

dewot MDL Junior Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Out of curiosity, I did a little reading on this. I think I understand how to get this to work, without EasyBCD, so if you still want some ideas let me know. A couple of things:

- Your XP must be installed to a partition with the same drive letter as it was on in your old computer. If XP was installed to C: on the old computer, it will need to be on C: on this computer.

- Installing XP after Windows 7 is an issue since XP, being older, doesn't really know what to do with Windows 7. I saw several people who had real problems getting EasyBCD to work when Win 7 had been installed first. The manual method ( without EasyBCD seems clearer to me. I could post a list of steps, but it might get a bit long.

- It seems you got by the HAL.dll problem that often occurs. That is an indication the process will probably work, and the 7B problem you saw is likely the graphics drivers or the NIC drivers, requiring a safe mode start.

If you managed to get it to work, then great!

12. ckenneynh

ckenneynh MDL Novice

May 7, 2011
    Not sure if this will help in your case, but I used a program called "BartPE" to create an XP install CD with SP3 and SATA Raid drivers added in.
    That way I did not need to use the F6 floppy disk method. It was a few years ago, when I was building 3 systems without floppy drives.
    It worked well, was fairly easy to figure out, just feed the program an XP install CD, and SP3 and the drivers that would have gone on the floppy.

Hope it helps,
    Chris

13. jimmykerry

jimmykerry MDL Novice

May 9, 2011
    If you found this web page before attempting to move a new hardware currently installed Windows XP. I highly recommend that you create an image of the hard disk or ensure that you have all important data which cannot be replaced other media stored on compatible media XP before proceeding.