xp on i7 64 bit win 7

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by tamlaman, Jan 27, 2011.

1. tamlaman

tamlaman MDL Novice

Nov 13, 2010
    want to get new pc mid range ie i7 950 6 gig etc will xp still work as i'm not ready to let xp 32 bit go yet so will have spare hard drive with xp on it to plug in or will i need lower spec cpu in other words is there a limit on how good a machine i can get to keep xp whilst learning win 7 64 bit programs and waiting for software and device drivers for old devices. also if will i need a driver package for the new mobo which ever it is when i nstall xp on i7 win 7 machine or just pop cd in and go... thanx in advance

2. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Hi tamlaman,
    I don't know of any reason why XP wouldn't work on a i7 CPU.
    But if your using x86 version of XP, Vista or 7 you'll only be able to access 3GB of RAM.

As a 'Rule of Thumb' you should always use the drivers supplied by the device manufacturer.
    Those drivers should be optimized for that device and will enable all its features.
    The MS drivers tend to be 'Generic' and in alot of cases only allow basic functionality.

And, I wouldn't wait for device manufacturers to release new drivers for older hardware.
    XP x64, Vista x86 and x64 are still waiting for driver updates from companies like Creative and HP.
    They would rather sell you a new version of your hardware, than give you a driver for the fully functioning version you already have.

One other option for you.
    On this new system, if you install Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate.
    You can use XP Mode, which is a fully working version of Windows XP Pro in a Virtual Machine.
    Its limited in the hardware it can access (no 3D GFX), but will save you rebooting from XP to 7 and back again everytime you want to try something out. :)

3. tamlaman

tamlaman MDL Novice

Nov 13, 2010
    thank you mate so basically its new hardware printer scanner camcorder etc and learn some new programs... its just as i comfortable with older programs and the new updates to those cyberlink, paintshop pro etc have totally different interfaces which currently mean gobbldygook to me anyway thanks for the reply and have a good day not like me my heads a mess thinking of change...