xp pro activation

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Hannies, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Hannies

Hannies MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2010
    I am new to the forum and am looking for some step by step advice as I find that there is so much useful info that it is difficult to decide on how to proceed.
    I have an xppro sp1 vlk cd[bootable iso-- long since b/listed] that I have created an sp3 slipstream from and which works fine on an old desktop[thanks to Supremo Phantom]which I built from retail parts.It has an ASUS mobo with an AWARD bios.I am looking for a once and all solution for the desktop.
    1] OEMBIOS.EXE shows the following for the desktop:-
    F:ASUS OEMBIOS.CAT CRC=2411858C
    F:HP and COMPAQ OEMBIOS.CAT=CD4E1902
    and says that these royalty oem cds would pre-activate[slp]
    2] I also have a legit oem xppro operating system on an IBM Thinkpad T40 and which has a hologram/ cd-key underneath which says for use on 1-2 cpu.I do not at this stage have any cd for this laptop[I bought it in a second-hand shop],although I am able to make one from the original i386 setup folder on the c:Drive--or download a recovery cd from IBM.
    Any assistance would be appreciated.
    Tx,
    Hannies:

2. Hannies

Hannies MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2010
    When you do this,does the installation at any stage still ask for the cd-key on the hologram sticker?Also can I test this in virtual box without any issues?

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    If you run the oembios changer it will insert correct OEM SLP1.0 key, the cd-key on the hologram sticker is not OEM SLP one. It wont work on virtual box without SLP1.0 in virtual box dmi area.

4. Hannies

Hannies MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2010
    How does one add the SLP 1.0 into virtualbox DMI area?
    By the way would the DMI boot cd I see mentioned also do the trick?
    TX

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ FreeStyler as far as I know that only works on Linux versions of VirtualBox.

6. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Nope. It works very well on windows app also...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    #9 FreeStyler, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
    FYI: oembios.exe doesn't detect SLP strings added by XML (or at least it didn't last time i tried) but it activates fine