XP pro install problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by tonyrjkdavis, May 24, 2010.

1. tonyrjkdavis

tonyrjkdavis MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2010
    Hi, need some help if possible!!
    Got an Acer 3630 laptop that was running windows XP.Was running really slow so I decided to reinstall a clean copy of Windows XP pro that I have on disc.
    I have formatted hard drive (30gig) and created a NTFS partition for the install.The format stage goes OK and it shows the welcome screen to install XP pro which I select.
    When it starts installing it keeps showing errors on the install and asks me to press esc to skip certain files (there are loads of them).It then gets to the 100% stage before I get a screen showing error messages telling me an error ocured and the computer will be shut down?
    When I turn the laptop on without putting the XP pro disc in I get nothing now only a flashing cursor?
    What have I done!!!!
    I knew I should have left it but it was running so slow.

Any ideas???
    Thanks,Tony.

2. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Setup doesnt tell u to skip files unless theyre corrupt or missing.
    Make sure you have a correct xp pro cd, if not download one from mdl:)

3. tonyrjkdavis

tonyrjkdavis MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2010
    thanks for the quick response..I have used this disc before in another laptop and it worked perfect?
    Any ideas as to why the comp will not boot up at all now?
    I can get into the BIOS by pressing F2

Thanks,Tony.

4. tonyrjkdavis

tonyrjkdavis MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2010
    just remembered something...when I turn the laptop on without the XP disc in it shows "NTDLR is missing" press ctrl+alt=del to restart.
    Not sure what this means??
    Thanks, Tony.

5. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Means the bootloader for xp is missing.

6. tonyrjkdavis

tonyrjkdavis MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2010
    any ideas where i go from here as I feel a bit stuck!!
    Thanks,Tony.

7. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    U should be able to boot from cd and pick repair somewhere and fromthere fix the bootloader.

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    As tcntad, said boot from cd when you get to were you want to install format the hard drive. Personally if cd is ok then your cd/dvd rom drive is faulty, check cables first even try new ones before buying another drive or borrow on to try.

9. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Tito the NTDLR is missing because of a failed windows setup. even if he did replace it install files are still corrupt.

11. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    A couple of things come to mind. Most of the symptoms you describe happen if PE files were modified and put to an ISO without correcting the checksum. If you are using an unmodified iso, then you should try another disc. The disc you are using is old and scratched??

Maybe sounds simple, but scratched discs have done this to me in the past, as have corrupt burns. burn at slower speeds. Replacing the ntloader is an option, but not a good one. The corrupt install needs to be made proper.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. tonyrjkdavis

tonyrjkdavis MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2010
    just an update.....managed to get XP installed and set it all up with language etc...got all the devices working ...got the internet working OK and all seemed ok but....when I switch the machine off and then turn back on it shows the XP logo and then gives me a blue screen and switches off?
    When I turn back on it shows screen with safe mode,safe mode with networking etc.
    When I select "last known good config" it shows Ntfs file is corrupt or missing" and to place disc in for repair options.
    If I choose safe mode the laptop comes on as normal (but in safe mode).
    What would you suggest as I had enough trouble trying to get XP installed?
    I have read some other posts which all pointed to a faulty RAM but think you guys are a bit more clued up to make better suggestions!!
    Any thoughts would be appreciated as I feel like I am going round in circles with this thing!!!

Regards,Tony.

13. tonyrjkdavis

tonyrjkdavis MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2010
    an attempt to write to read only memory error blue screen appears sometimes as well (had to get that in quick as the screen goes off so quick to shut the laptop down).Would not let me use safe mode to get into command prompt also.

14. tonyrjkdavis

tonyrjkdavis MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2010
    sorry but have progressed a bit.Seem to have got it all running now but still not too sure what the problem is as the laptop seems to be a bit unstable (as in I am never too sure if the thing will come on).Am just installing updates...68 of them.done this last time and then restarted and seemed to have more problems than before the updates!!!
    thanks for listening!

15. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    instability can be traced to ram, processor, video, power, any combo of previous.

I am trusting that you had the machine running well before the OS install and you are using a trusted install medium.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. fdjc

fdjc MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010
    They are notorious for having crap CD drives that can fail even a month old.

I would say your errors were caused by poor CD drive or even the hard drive on its way out, hence you are getting errors after installation.

run command prompt
    type "chkdsk c: /r"
    hit return
    it SHOULD say something about disk in use, do next boot, hit yes then restart the laptop, checkdisk should run.
    Let it, hopefully will find some sectors and repair them.

If that's not it then its probably RAM