XP Pro oem to new pc

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by mistral, Oct 9, 2009.

1. ctsinc2

ctsinc2 MDL Novice

Feb 14, 2008
    Look, This is my last post on this. If in theory, you replace the motherboard on a dell with an aftermarket one, a dell xp cd will not autoactivate because of the lack of the bios info. At work I have one master xp cd with home/pro oem/retail on it. I use that disk for ALL repairs. If it's a dell, hp, etc. I always have to call to activate with the coa, due to it not being a branded oem cd, and I have never been turned down. I agree that a bios mod will work. The op asked a question, and I gave him a valid answer to his original question. He did not ask about bios mods.

2. mistral

mistral MDL Junior Member

Sep 1, 2009
    because my old dell has given up, so I just thought it would be a shame to just throw away the computer and an approved license for XP Pro, since I have an old home built computer without a valid XP license, because I wondered if you could recover license to another computer..google translate :)

3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    You do NOT replace the motherboard on a dell with an aftermarket one, as most (if not all the cases) are a bit "off" to take any other mobo

I do not understand what you doing (and I do not care), great that it works for you, but it simply should not

sebus

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    What licence are you talking about? The sticker? If so then cut it out or peel it.
    There is NO licence as such inside your computer, there is only SLP key & SLP 1.0 info in the BIOS

So mod your BIOS to have SLP string, use SLP key, you are same good (is that so difficult to understand?)

sebus

5. mistral

Sep 1, 2009
    #25 mistral, Oct 11, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
    (OP)
    i understad quite well, i gonna mod bios insert SLP, and get a SLP key thats the way///Thanks for your patience excuse for my bad English

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    It may be your last post on the subject but what you are doing is illegal especially for a business, I can understand replace motherboard but then officially it is not a dell machine. If you look around you will see that even companies that do recondition dell for example need to get another serial number from dell and it must be stated reconditioned e.c.t but on these forums who are we to talk of morals.:) me with my flashed bios mod:D

7. mistral

Sep 1, 2009
    soon if not already so can i probably buy cheaply or get free license of XP from someone buddy when Windows 7 takes over completely, so it'll be no problem, but it is a pity to throw away an xp pro OEM license from a broken dell , anyway im glad for all help i can get :)