Xp sp3 Made a right cock up changing mobo help req?..

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by sadsack, May 24, 2010.

1. sadsack

sadsack MDL Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hi all,

Just changed my 7n400 pro rev1 for a 7n400 pro rev2, I assumed because they were very simular boards and nothing else has been changed i could just replace and carry on as normal.
    But ooohhh Nooo, This copy of xp needs to be registered... (or words to that effect), cannot log on, only go to phone this number screen.

What would be the easiest way of bypassing this, either through a bootdisk, or through safe mode..

your help chaps would be very much appreciated, as i just need to get in to recover a few bits and pieces before i reflash this board.

ttfn

sadsack

2. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    ofcourse it needs to activate.. theyre not the same but similar (so they are different).
    If you can somehow in safemode, activate using a OEMSLP disk that might work for ya.

3. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    OK...A couple of questions..

-How was it activated before?

-Why flash the bios?

-Safe mode will be the best bet. On the OEMBIOS changer, there is a tool to assist with borked activations...you can run it from safe mode. I would suggest trying other OEM options first...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. sadsack

sadsack MDL Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Thanks for the replies chaps.... well the flash is for gigabyte 2.1 slic....

but before i do that I just needed to get back into windows. I do remember having this problem before some time ago, I assumed i was using an "student edition" of xp, lol....
    Updates were okay for about a year then bang, not genuine.... I remember coming here for help then, and i was given a small program to run from "safe mode" and for the life of me i can't seem to find it.
    I thought if i did a search within xp forum I would find the message i left and would just 1 either get an updated file of whatever it was i was given, or 2 reuse the same file again.

911medic, you mention about other OEM options, could you possibly elaborate in some more detail this possibility, please.

Thank you all for your help...

sadsack

5. sadsack

sadsack MDL Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Update chaps, managed to get into safemode,
    ran OEMBIOS.exe and this is what it said...

F:Dell System OEMBIOS.CAT CRC=63875D1F
    F:Dell System OEMBIOS.CAT CRC=B6F0EEFD
    F:Gigabyte OEMBIOS.CAT CRC+6C0C2E95

These Royalty OEM install CD's should preactivate <SLP> on your system.
    Lines Starting with E: are not reliably detected when running under
    Windows Press Enter!

Safemode also says "this copy of windows is not activated"

6. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Grab the OEMBIOS files from the Gigabyte CRC and put them on a drive with the oembios changer decompressed to the folder. Put the oembios files in the appropriate folder and run from safe mode. I have made an ISO with good results..

You simp0ly need to install the oembios files with the tool. the serial will be added.

is this understandable?? I am doing this on the move...LOL

I can get you a quick changer in a bit if you cannot manage from these admittedly bad instructions...hehe

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. sadsack

sadsack MDL Member

Dec 8, 2007
    The quick changer? would be of an advantage 911, as the rest of it just went slightly over my head LOL...

Thank you for all your help....

8. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    one click...big advantage. I will get it to you in a few minutes...

I put on cd and run from there....done deal.

9. sadsack

sadsack MDL Member

Dec 8, 2007
    sorry 911, didn't see your post there...

thanks, will wait for update...

ttfn

going out shortly will let you know how i get on when i get back.

10. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Yep..actually, everything you need is in the stickies...

11. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
  12. sadsack

sadsack MDL Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hi 911medic,

just got back from the hospital, and wanted to give that program a go, I unpacked it onto a spare thumbdrive i had, and everything seemed to go very smoothly, no hickups or anything, when finished it requested i do a reboot, which i did, but upon reboot i still cannot get into windows, can only get as far as the logon screen where it says "this copy of windows must be activated" ect ect.... and "this copy of windows is not activated in the bottom right hand corner"... didn't want to go any further yet, as p.c. still unconnected to web, just wanted to know if this is correct and what would be my next step?

thank you for your time 911,

ttfn
    sadsack

13. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
  14. sadsack

sadsack MDL Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Used the new version 911medic, but I noticed that the first couple of lines that went up said, "protected file" "target in use" and the "must be activated" still pops up just before i enter windows, but at least i can get into windows.... is that because of the protected files that were not overwritten?.

All this was done in safe mode..

thanks
    911medic..

15. sadsack

sadsack MDL Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Just a heads up, 911

ran genuine advantage diagnostic tool, validation status is genuine, does this mean i'm good to go, or will the dreaded "must be activated" keep poppin it's head up on each boot.

thanks again

ttfn

sadsack

16. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    To check, view or verify the Windows XP current activation status, open Run command from Start Menu, and run the following command:

oobe/msoobe /a

17. sadsack

sadsack MDL Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hi 911medic,

Just wanted to let you know, everything good to go..... No more Activation messages...
    So my next step is to backup everything that I need, flash my bios, and on with ultimate 32bit.

Thanks again for helping me out in a tight spot.

ttfn

sadsack