XP vs Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Antigen, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Antigen

Antigen MDL Junior Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Hi!

How many people continue to prefer Windows XP to Windows 7 ???

I think that Windows 7 don't give soo much changes/innovation to improve the switch from XP to Windows 7.

Bye! Thanks!

2. spkleader

spkleader MDL Senior Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Do you want my 2 cents about it?
    Windows XP works so well that you're afraid to move on... the same reason that keeps more than 80% of my customers away from 7.
    It's 7, it's new.. and usually, what's new scares most of the people.
    But again, that's ONLY my 2 cents

3. Antigen

Sep 12, 2009
    Yes!!!

I'm scared ecause I don't understand because I need to switch from XP to 7.

Thanks for your 2 cent... 2 cent that are very valuable.

4. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    People are afraid of the unknown. For the most part if people give windows 7 a shot they will not look back. Also for the ones that are scared all they need to do is a dual boot. Then they can make the decision.:D

5. mickyjim

mickyjim MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2009
    Hi i was very happy with xp pro and never used or installed vista , however i decided to give windows 7 a go.
    7 has been avast improvement over vista but to be honest when you are using your favourite apps it doesnt matter what o/s you are using as long as it doesnt crash,the only problem i have had with 7 has been related to x64 drivers not supported and being a pain in the butt trying to locate one that works hardware manufacturers are more likely to make you upgrade a piece of hardware than to release a new driver.:mad::mad: Most of the general public accept that they will have to upgrade an old wlan adaptor etc rather than search for a driver that does work .
    So i guess its a thumbs up for 7 or should that be vista service pack 3

6. shakeyplace

shakeyplace MDL Addicted

May 5, 2007
    Vista worked fine if your PC had enough resources, that has been fixed with service packs and with 7 (try disabling the dashboard thingy on the right, it really starts up not bad then), XP still works fine as well. People hate change, they see no valid reason to change. They hate being forced to change. Win 9x versions were unstable, people hated the steady crashes, blue screens. XP brought a secure, relatively stable alternative but I see no real need for the upgrade other than it is new and XP will become a legacy OS soon, but that is again just MS forcing the change. I think people resent that. I see no reason to need the upgrade, really, what are the realistic new features, Aero uses resourses, more noticable in XP era Pc's, bit locker, you need professional or higher, a high price point for that feature... a better alternative may be to keep the removable drives in a secure place? or not keep valuable information on them.. XP mode, well that comes with XP, doesn't it?
    Do I use 7, yes, but do I need Win 7, no...
    Is there a feature I would miss if I were using XP, no
    perhaps we should have a poll, is there a feature in Win 7 that you would really miss if you reverted back to XP...

7. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    I still use XP pro.

I have a dual boot machine also with W7 and XP..

I dont see a change in the near future...:D:D I still prefer the XP for the day to day stuff.:cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. JohnnyRebel

JohnnyRebel MDL Junior Member

Aug 25, 2009
    i gotta agree with medic on this one... i run various recording software so i tend to stick with xp due to that... although i will say all the recording software ive tried on win7 has worked except wavelab 5... wavelab 6 runs like a dream on it though... my honest opinion says vista got a bad name and it stuck... truth of the matter is vista wasent all that bad after some tweaking... granted the issues people had with drivers seemed to really make people hate it instantly... i will say however people will be more inclined to upgrade knowing all the software they have is gonna work... at the end of the day most consumers just want their stuff to work

9. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Is this issue on X64 or X86.

Should work on X86 in compatible mode with XP SP2 or XP SP3, For Wavelab 6 you will need the WaveLab 6.1.0.340 update.

10. Antigen

Sep 12, 2009
    The conclusion is?

XP is prefered from the most of people?

Windows 7 don't offer anything new can XP offer?

11. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Windows 7 offers a ton that XP doesn't (or can't)..It's just that some of us are very content with the performance of the Xp with our hardware and software configs..

I, for one, dont have to have something just because it is the newest, biggest, or baddest. I like what I like..Some have to have the newest OS, or just dont like the XP experience..:D

I luv the Windows 7 user interaction and "bling"..But that doesnt make it the best productive OS for me..XP doesnt have a dealbreaker..thats my bottom line...:rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    That is the same way with me too lol. I like win7 for gaming but for everyday things and using vmware, XP is the system all the way! Ram is a big issue with the new windows.

13. weaveR

weaveR MDL Member

Nov 8, 2009
    I find it a pain having to always run everything as administrator when I am already logged in as one on Vista and W7 by default, but I guess I am kind of used to it now.

I also hate the new way you login if your Vista or W7 computer is connected to a domain there is no domain box and if you want to login locally you cant just type in localhost\username in the username box you have to actually click a button to find out the computer name is remember it and type that in instead, I really miss just being able to use a drop down box instead like you do on XP.

Not having a Microsoft telnet client installed also is a pain I have to have PuTTY now on my USB flash drive in case I need to use telnet on a router which probably isn't really a bad thing after I think about it.

Something I do like though is the ability to use terminal services concurrently even as the same user without kicking off the current user off on Windows 7 like you can on server 2003.

I also miss the many custom themes you can get if you patch your uxtheme.dll, not really sure if there are any good W7 custom themes yet though haven't really looked.

14. noobixent

noobixent MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2009
    If you have a dual-triple or even quad core, with at least3GB RAM, then you definitely would want win7. XP performs about the same on these machines as they do on a single core processor with 512 of RAM. What I'm saying is XP cannot take advantage of the extra juice your PC can offer. But if you have a living fossil, it's wise to keep it with XP.

Windows 7 offers better security features though, especially if you're building a home network, something that's a little cumbersome to do with XP machines. Win 7 is just so intelligent, it detects all your network devices, assigns them to public, home, or work network.

15. Whiznot

Whiznot MDL Member

Nov 5, 2009
    I have been playing with Win 7 activated (thanks Daz) for a couple of days. I was very impressed initially but all the eye candy gets old fast.

Like a lot of others I think Microsoft cannot be trusted. Vista and Win 7 are both so much larger that XP that I suspect that some of those extra gigabytes are up to no good.

I love the simplicity of XP and the utility provided by Autopatcher for updates and tweaks.

I can see a future where XP becomes obsolete but it remains viable at present.

16. curriegrad2004

curriegrad2004 MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2008
    My conclusion of Windows 7:

- Less of a PITA to deal with when it comes to pre-installing it in other PC's.
    - Much more user friendly
    - Install updates offline
    - Improved hot-patching capabilities (So you don't have to reboot everytime a security update gets released!)
    - Improved driver initialization sequence
    - Improved graphics core

Given the above, I'd ditch XP any day for Windows 7. Though on the server side, I'm sticking with 2003 R2 until I am forced to upgrade next year... :mad:

17. Jaime2767

Jaime2767 MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2009
    Market Drivers

I think people tend to forget that there are "market drivers" out there. Meaning that people who are in the business of selling things tend to be driven by market demand. Don't want Windows 7? Don't buy it. I think that there will always be business for XP as, if you're like me, I'm tired of the amount of time I spend improving my system. I don't want "more". More embedded controls.

18. skylark

skylark MDL Junior Member

Sep 3, 2009
    I loved XP the moment I installed it. It was so much more stable than its predecessor Windows operating systems and my old (at that time) 400 MHz Pentium II computer appeared to thrive on it.

When I tested one of the RC copies of Windows Vista I was appalled. It seemed slow, clumsy and very bloated. I couldn't understand why anyone would want to use it and I urged friends that were about to buy new computers to get one quickly prior to Windows Vista's official release.

Windows 7 is a vast improvement on that early Windows Vista RC release. However, I have reservations because it is still basically a more refined Vista.

Unfortunately, Windows XP is beginning to show its age and it will gradually become incompatible with new hardware and software. I would have been much happier if Microsoft had continued to allow XP to evolve and to mature but that wouldn't have been good news for their shareholders. For the time being, I shall stick to a XP and 7 dual boot solution. The alternatives would mean abandoning much of my favorite software that is only available in Windows versions.

19. vistadude

vistadude MDL Member

Oct 7, 2008
    What I find is windows xp runs pretty well, but you need to do a lot of maintenance work to keep it running, for example, you need to have an antispyware, antivirus, firewall, and service packs wheras with vista and windows 7, you only need to install an antivirus (firewall and antispyware are installed and running by default). Windows 7 is basically an OS that has a lot more features installed by default. The defragmenter will run once a week rather than you having to manually install it. Windows 7 will fetch your most used program in advance so the loading time is smaller. Windows 7 has a great media center and extender support, whereas windows xp only has a good media player that works on the computer, and not onto a tv. Windows 7 also supports more RAM than xp. And I think the most convenient feature is that search in windows 7 actually works - I find myself using it a lot, and hating to use XP because it doesn't have a useful search.

The main thing that has not changed is that almost all software offered today runs on Windows XP, windows vista, and windows 7. So there's not much new software that will only run on windows 7. For that reason, I don't see a major reason to upgrade, unless you're fed up with XP and dealing with a lot of crashes, instabilities, or really want the new above features.

20. Supersize

Supersize MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2009
    It seems like you have run XP since SP1...

With a fresh install of Windows XP SP2 or SP3 for that matter, Firewall and Malicious Software Removal Tool are running from the first install.
    You actually have to go and turn them OFF if you don't want it..
    Which in my case I do because of having a hardware firewall...

UAC in Windows Vista/7 doesn't stop it from getting any spyware or viruses any better than a XP does...
    The creators of spyware/viruses just modify their code to get around it.

So really that isn't a valid reason not to like XP.