XPx64 or Server2003x64?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by onetwo3, Jun 22, 2013.

Tags:
  1. onetwo3

onetwo3 MDL Member

Jun 21, 2013
    hi, Humphrey, what answers? and why does it bother you? I havnt come here looking for trouble, why would I? are my questions not acceptable in some way, is my conduct rude, disrespectful or breach the rules somehow? how have I disturbed you?

2. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    Answers are answers whether or not its the ones you are looking for or not. If no one is giving you the answer to the questions you have asked then they simply do not care or do not know. That being said, you should now attempt to try the find the answer yourself via personal experience.

Another answer you may not like is to download Hirens Boot CD and see how it has the Mini Windows XP configured.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. onetwo3

onetwo3 MDL Member

Jun 21, 2013
    so anyway.. for the other seekers who may find themselves on this topic in the future.

2003 does not support the theme interface for desktop/windows but it does have more management programs for administrators and less multimedia support than XP

also the windowsadmincenter blog has a good rundown on memory allocation specifics but I dont have enough posts to link it.

thanks Max

4. Oz

Oz MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Go with XP x64, works just fine.

Bet most of the people here rallying against it has never actually used it, they are just parroting what they have read somewhere else that driver support is really bad etc etc.

Since x64 in general became popular with Vista and even more so for 7, with all the geeks having a RAM pissing contest, there has been a huge increase in drivers that will run with XP x64.

I have XP x64 installed n my D drive and have drivers for everything I have of hardware, so go a ahead give it a go.

5. onetwo3

onetwo3 MDL Member

Jun 21, 2013
    #25 onetwo3, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
    (OP)
    hi Oz, thanks for the positive input.

so far so good, I installed it direct on my laptop that came with vista. no XP support from the manufacturer but all the drivers from vista and 7 worked except the video and LAN. I found those available from the hardware manufacturers websites.

so yeah, all drivers working here on hardware that was made after XP was discontinued!

also have it booting from USB already now too! the driverpacks KTD option is not available but after digging around the RVM forum I found a russian made alternative Im working with now for that so once I get that working (fingers crossed) I will see if I can get the EWF from embedded working.

I also found sky123 driver package for all hardware from chinese site if the russian one doesnt work out I will try it. (or both if it does because one may work better than the other for unknown hardware I may encounter with it later) EWF info for it (XPx64) seems unavailable for XP or vista x64 but there is 7 tutorials I will try to adapt.

this smokes vista in everyway so far and seems a little more responsive than 7 also. I havnt done any serious tests but I did load a huge folder of full size images directly from my camera and it loaded the whole folder noticeably faster than the later x64 windows.

still have a lot of stuff to work on for my over-all plan for it but just for a standard install its rock solid. will try firadisk and winVblock later for network and ram booting.

but yeah I agree totally Oz, dont knock it til ya try it!

6. TimeFire

TimeFire MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2013
    Well, let me see if i can help. Windows XP Pro x64 is based on Windows Server 2003 x64 code base, so internally, they are the same. (the kernel on both is NT 5.2, build 3790). And everest/aida64 reports XP Pro x64 as "Whistler Server". If you want a super-fast OS, but don't care about eye-candy, like themes, go for Server 2003 x64. But if you want a super-fast OS, with themes and etc... go for XP x64. Hope i have helped.

7. solarstone2149

solarstone2149 MDL Member

Dec 11, 2009
    #27 solarstone2149, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
    no brainer here
    XP x64 was only client re-compile of Server 2003 x64
    and client NT OS always have that "home-friendly" stuff (better support for multimedia, games... bla bla)
    and to be honest less garbage than Server OS

neither is faster or slower, if you use XP x64, disable all eye candy and you get speed of Server 2003 x64