Ye good ol "USB Over Current Status Detected" phenomenon

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by itsmemario1, Sep 26, 2019.

1. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    #1 itsmemario1, Sep 26, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    Hi,

Im fully aware of what kind of "fixes" exist for this phenomenon. But those are the obvious ones.

for example:
    -damaged USB port or short circuit in it
    -Improper installation of the mainboard
    -broken cables

All checked.

Im aware various mainboards offer this unique "feature"... -_-

Now I have a ASUS F2A85-M LE here, which ran just fine since 2012.

Suddenly *lol* this message shows up on booting and removing the mouse or the keyboard, just to reinsert it, fixes the problem. Until today.

I also ran the board naked, with nothing attached to it. The message remains.

I update the BIOS, which worked just fine. But the message remained.

Sometimes, when booted into Windows 10, it even accepted external USB harddrives on top of it, while sometimes it shut down all USB ports while within windows.

Today it stopped booting and I cant get into the BIOS anymore. CPU gets hot...my bet is on a bad mainboard.
    Ya, its from 2012 as well.

But as I dont want to give up on this one yet, as its free to destroy now...what about desoldering all remaining USB ports...could that fix this...whatever it is ? ;D
    Or is there more to this phenomenon, then just some random youtube videos and annoying forum discussions ? ;)

2. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    sounds like bad mobo all the way....if u have the time and patients to tinker with it.

3. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    I thought I got wording of a bug with an Asus socket 939 motherboard BIOS giving that error message or similar error message meaning the same thing, when having more than a certain amount of RAM, albeit that was way back when AMD still used DDR1, IIRC. That sounded like a very strange bug, when I saw that report, IIRC, but I have trouble remembering that story. It should still be found on the web.

In your case, it's more likely a failed FET or a failed cap. I would report your issue on the badcaps.net message board.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Are you still sure it's an ASUS F2ABS-M LE and you You do not talking about the Asus F2A85-M LE?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    Whoops, it is inded a F2A85-M LE...that "85" does look a lot like "BS" on the mainboard though. x'D