(yet another) LTSB/LTSC dilemma

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by x86, Sep 12, 2020.

1. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    All windows SKUs have telemetry and on Enterprise/Education and LTSB/C versions it can be disabled by gpo.

3. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    Are you referring to the 'Allow Telemetry = Disabled' GPO? Does that really stop Telemetry altogether?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. sxhilkxdxm

sxhilkxdxm MDL Member

Mar 7, 2020
    LTSC is pretty mature by now , should have no issues using it.
    Or else stick with Enterprise/Education if that bothers you.

Telemetry switch to Disabled is also mentioned on MS website , Dont know if it works.

5. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    Version 1809 has better Windows Update (without high CPU consumption when searching and installing updates and smaller size of them). It has better support for newer hardware. A few games do not run on 1607 especially those from Microsoft. Other than that I don't see any big improvements.

Test it yourself and see which one performs better with your hardware.

As for the memory management problem I see some comment on it but without showing evidence with the current updates so I have doubts about it. I see memory compression even though it works more often in 1809.

About telemetry take a look at this topic:
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/repo-windows-10-telemetry-repository.63874

6. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    You are going to regret it.
    LTSC 2019 still is a poorly chopped 1809 version that was plagued by issues since the get-go and never really improved much
    (and btw still has memory management bugs for whole series of hardware, mainly pre-Haswell refresh, and probably more).
    Take my word for it that it's gonna annoy you in day to day use compared to 1607 LTSB.

Might as well wait until 2021 for the next LTSD (branch-channel-distribution, right? :D)

Better yet, jump to 1903/1909/2004/20H2 Education (or Enterprise)
    and never look back at these officially poorly chopped editions that offer neither performance nor privacy improvements for contemporary pc's,
    all at the expense of usability and online security.

7. denob

denob MDL Novice

Jun 17, 2020
    I've tried both 2016 and 2019 on my retired i7-2600k and everything is working fine
    You should try both by yourself and judge by youself

If you valued privacy, either look about telementry,in the stickied thread, or cut yourself off from the internet
    If you valued about security, build yourself an OS from the scartch

Nobody knows what MS put since windows is a closed sources OS

8. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    My answer was addressed to OP, not to insecure randoms getting butthurt from statements that may go against their LTSC cult.
    It's not that great an effort for anyone to see the current state of all windows 10 versions on their own PC, dual booting has been a thing for ages.
    But people rarely get out of their comfort zone and stick with inadequate stuff for all the wrong reasons.

9. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    Guys, thank you all for the input.
    Btw, no need for heated arguments - besides each of us has different needs from the OS. An overall impression is what I wanted (and I think I got it!)
    I think I ll prob be sticking with 1607. EOS is OCT 2026, so there's plenty of time for it yet.
    As I said, I not looking for 'new' features. Just stability. I d say that I m overall satisfied from 1607 on that respect. Never had a BSOD or a serious software fault so far, so I can't complain.
    Only important thing as far as software support goes, is that I m still getting driver support (especially for the GPU), which I think is not an issue. Perhaps that might have been a concern if gaming was a priority (but it's not)
    Does anyone know if Vulcan is supported in 1607? Just curious...

As far as Telemetry goes, I think I ll never have the level of reassurance that I need (I think neither of us does!), but it's my choice to accept this risk by choosing such an OS. I am aware of that thread, and have implemented most of those mechanisms from day one.

10. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
  11. sxhilkxdxm

sxhilkxdxm MDL Member

Mar 7, 2020
    Education/Enterprise should do just fine , You have powerful hardware.

12. AndyMutz

AndyMutz MDL Senior Member

Jun 30, 2011
    vulkan is a third party API, it depends on the graphics card driver and not on windows itself.
    I have my main system still on LTSB 2016 and I use it for gaming, too.
    no problems so far :)

but I will have to upgrade my windows soon, as I want a new graphics card and nvidias drivers for turing and newer generations don't work on LTSB 2016.

-andy-

13. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    OK, so as long as I stick with my 1050Ti (Pascal), I have no concerns as far as GPU support goes. I think Turing is the next one after Pascal...

14. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
  15. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    Is that hard to install one or more additional OS in dual/multiple boot and decide yourself?

Asking is almost pointless, the mileage may vary depending on your HW, depending on your skill, depending on your habits, and depending on your luck with IT things.

16. LTSC_Fanboy

LTSC_Fanboy MDL Junior Member

Oct 17, 2009
    #17 LTSC_Fanboy, Feb 25, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2023
  17. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    It's not exactly that straightforward though
    Sure, I can install in dual boot and try it out - but that takes TIME (not the installation part, but for me evaluating)
    That is why I was expecting some thoughts from people that actually run 1809 for the long term. Sure I can start now and do the same, but gaining a somewhat accurate impression on an OS takes time. What I m saying is - I didn't ask because I m lazy ;)

Are there any further indications for the possible extension of 21H2 beyond 2025..? Or just a hunch?

Just curious - can anyone confirm if that the (standby) memory issue (causing stutter) in 1809 is finally fixed?

18. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    #19 acer-5100, Feb 27, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2023

Sure. That's why I have a decade of OSes in multiple boot, server and Client.

I just use one of them for a while depending on what i need.

That said, I have high doubts that for average user the windows version changes something.

Do you need a better WSL? Go for 2004 or later

Do you need RFX? stay on 2016 or go for 2004

Now the point is that 99.999% of the users have no Idea of what those acronyms means.
    I have no idea about you, about your skill, about your requirement.....

Whatever, if you stiil want to listen to my personal opinion, In general I think that 1809 is one of the worst builds of W10... Too old to have settled novelties, too new to maintain a solid compatibility with older drivers and HW in general.

Was my reply helpful? Likely not. And that's why I consider your question and my reply wasted time for both of us.

19. LTSC_Fanboy

LTSC_Fanboy MDL Junior Member

Oct 17, 2009
    #20 LTSC_Fanboy, Feb 27, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2023