Yet another "No Audio Output Device is Installed"...

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by rockinmom, Feb 9, 2012.

1. rockinmom

rockinmom MDL Junior Member

Dec 7, 2011
    #1 rockinmom, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  2. gabris[LT]

gabris[LT] MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2010
    try reinstalling chipset drivers, can be fault there. PnP - Plug'n'Play usually all audio devices are plug and play. optical device is not plug and play device. easy way about checking driver conflicts - uninstall driver in device manager, if it will install NVIDIA driver, then force install generic driver using manual install. nvidia can cause conflict. hardware it doesn't mean hardware physically, it can be drivers that are controlling that hardware. download all drivers from hp for your OS and install them if none helps. that should help.
    Good luck!

3. rockinmom

rockinmom MDL Junior Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Thanks for the reply gabris! I'll try reinstalling the chipset again.

So you're basically suggesting I uninstall the Nvidia drivers, try to force install the audio/optical drivers and see what that does? Just out of curiosity, if the device isn't listed in dev mgr and the driver won't install on it's own (no device found for this driver) do I have any other options?

I've already installed every driver from HP (who isn't going to support my model on W7) with no luck even in compatibility mode. Is there a way to see what the cdrom/audio SHOULD look like in the registry (just to check if something else is disabling it)?

4. gabris[LT]

gabris[LT] MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2010
    #4 gabris[LT], Feb 9, 2012
    it can't be disabled somewhere, but it can be wrong drivers, you can try driver pack solution(it's software). no... I'm suggesting to uninstall nvidia drivers, then check if audio device will appear, if not reinstall chipset drivers... maybe there's some sort of device hang. my pc is running W7 with with 2000/xp drivers :)
    I don't understand "Is there a way to see what the cdrom/audio SHOULD look like in the registry" you mean driver .inf file vid/pid? best way I think is to try driver pack solution first.
    Also you can check in bios, maybe it's disabled.

5. thatguychuck

thatguychuck MDL Member

Feb 6, 2011
    #5 thatguychuck, Feb 9, 2012
    I seem to remember not having an audio device with an older tower until I plugged in some external speakers, but that's just a shot in the dark.

If it were me I'd try to boot to a live distro and see if it works with a different OS. If I couldn't get it to work at all no matter what, I might consider a chipset failure of some sort.

6. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    I would install the chipset again, as already said, but remember to force install like you can do with intel using the /OVERALL switch, not sure what its for amd chipsets