Yet more Win7x64 problems!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by RASelkirk, Feb 13, 2016.

1. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Member

Feb 4, 2010
    #1 RASelkirk, Feb 13, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    Hi All,

Somehow, overnight, my good laptop made some changes to itself. Woke it up this morning and found all my USB devices disabled. Had to have happened somewhere between 02:00 and 07:00, as my last Acronis backup ran successfully @ midnight. Ran Sysinternals "Autoruns" and found the following drivers missing:

• snapman.sys
    • synth3dvsc.sys
    • tsusbhub.sys
    • vboxnet.flt.sys (couldn't find this one)
    • rdvgkmd.sys

Without USB, I had to pull them off my other (work-in-progress) laptop to a USB drive, put that drive in my desktop, and transfer the files via network. Once restored, the USB is working again. I always have Sysinternals "Process Viewer" running and there's nothing suspicious there. So, what caused this little "mishap"?

Part II involves my missing "D" drive (see pic). Twice I've tried using disk management to delete the partition and rebuild it and it works until I reboot, then it's back to the same old bullsh!t again. This just started overnight too. How do I get my "D" partition to "stick" through a reboot and, of course, why is this happening?

Part III forgot to mention, my CD/DVD refuse to work anymore. But, this is one of the reasons I'm ditching this laptop for another. Sometimes it'll read, mostly not. Never writes, and cannot boot of it...

Russ

Attached Files:

2. Meat[On]A[Stick]

Meat[On]A[Stick] MDL Junior Member

Jan 1, 2015
    #2 Meat[On]A[Stick], Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    Worse case, and I'm sure you won't accept it for now, the laptop has a permanent hardware failure. (Even I have I trouble saying it. Over the years, I've had only one laptop go flaky on me).

Has it ever been opened for a through inspection and cleaning? A thick layer of dust can be conductive and lead to all kinds of sporadic operation.

3. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Member

Feb 4, 2010
    It's due for a cleaning, I usually take it out in the shop and blow it with shop air both ways. No hdwe failure, just flaky. I did remember the regedit for upper/lower filters that can sometimes inhibit an ODD, but it started working again (for now) before I could try that. Went to my "other" laptop and copied those missing files to this one, had to reinstall Virtual Box for the 4th one, and all is working again. They just disappeared for no reason...

Russ

4. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    @RASelkirk: it seems to me that you're using some customization pack. I suspect that's the culprit.
    Install using a clean image of Windows SP1 x64 and your problems will disappear in a second.

P.S. It's a PEBCAC not an OS problem. Doh!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Member

Feb 4, 2010
    I don't know what that means, but this 'puter has been running flawlessly for 6 years. This is the first occurrence of missing drivers. Maybe my title was a bit misleading, I am "cloning" this laptop to a new one in another thread and was having mucho problemo with Win7 in that situation...

Russ

6. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    "Cloning" a laptop to another one is a bad idea, regardless we talk about Windows or Linux. Fresh install is the way to go when it comes to new hardware.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Just a thought: Before you blow the laptop out with air from your shop, make sure that the air is filtered. You might accidentally blow machine oil all over the mobo. :eek:

That happened to a friend of mine.