Zone Alarm Free 2019 - services and support?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by phaolo, Jan 15, 2019.

1. phaolo

phaolo MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2015
    #1 phaolo, Jan 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Hello, I noticed that the new Zone Alarm Free 2019 (v154) added a bunch of services.
    Does anyone know what they do exactly? Can I disable something? (I'm worried about telemetry)
    EDIT: many can't be turned off from services.msc

- Check Point Endpoint EFR (EFRService.exe - Endpoint Security Forensics)
    - Check Point Endpoint Remediation (RemediationService.exe - Endpoint Security Remediation)
    - Check Point Sandblast Agent Cipolla (SBACipollaSrvHost.exe)
    - Check Point Sandblast Agent Updater (SBACipollaSrvHost.exe ..again?)
    - Check Point SandBlast Agent Threat Emulation (TESvc.exe - silently protects your computer from potential malware)
    - ZAAR Update Service (ZAARUpdateService.exe)
    - ZoneAlarm ICM NET Service (ICM-Service-NET.exe)
    - ZoneAlarm Privacy Service (ZaPrivacyService.exe)

Also, I tried registering to ZA forum, but the process is disabled by the admin.. what is happening?
    This isn't a good sign..

2. phaolo

phaolo MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2015
    #2 phaolo, Jan 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    (OP)
    Oh well, I went back to v151 also for other reasons.

It only installed:
    - ZoneAlarm ICM NET Service (running)
    - ZoneAlarm Privacy Service (stopped)

More clean and with services I can control.
    (the new ones seemed related to the non-free program anyway)

3. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    I stopped updating ZAFF when they stopped doing the full offline installers and could only get those damn web installers that i have had fail during setup many times.

4. The Monkey

The Monkey MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2020
    I have the same question as the original poster. I've turned off the following services via msconfig, and the firewall itself seems to be running still, but I'm not sure if I've done the right thing.

The services I've disabled are:

- ZAAR Update Service (ZAARUpdateService.exe)
    - ZoneAlarm ICM NET Service (ICM-Service-NET.exe)
    - ZoneAlarm Privacy Service (ZaPrivacyService.exe)

Thanks

5. amajmon

amajmon MDL Senior Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Jamizon

Jamizon MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2017
    #6 Jamizon, Jan 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    I used ZA way back in the day, while using Win XP. When Vista came out, I used an overlay by Sphinx for use with the existing Vista Firewall. When 7 came out, I switched to Binisoft - Windows Firewall Control. It was a frequently updated overlay used in the same way as the one for Vista. Well, the developer of the software went to work for Malwarebytes, but the software can still be obtained at Binisoft, and is supported there as well, without cost. Less is more, in my opinion, so why would one want to install a firewall where one already exists? The overlay can be installed with right-click context menus, and I've never experienced a problem with it. Used with MBAM, they work together seamlessly. YMMV.

7. The Monkey

The Monkey MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2020
    Thanks for the reply. I do have malware bytes and am running windows 7 . The reason I installed zone alarm was because with Windows 7 now not being updated, I thought this meant that the windows 7 firewall will be potentially vulnerable. Can Windows Firewall Control plug this vulnerability or will it inherit it? Thanks!

8. Jamizon

Jamizon MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2017
    I use the software duo on Windows 10 client machines on my home network.

Regarding Windows 7:
    The firewall will not solve unpatched security holes in the OS code. Most viruses, malware, et al, at the consumer level, are invited. Windows 7, for all intents and purposes, has reached the end of it’s service life. In regards to Windows 7 ESU - For Enterprise users, there are paid options. For consumers, the options are extremely limited. A search of this site’s forums may enlighten you. Knowledge is power, wisdom is priceless. Good luck to you.