1903 ntoskrnl.exe HIGH DPC Latency!!!

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by slayer62, May 30, 2019.

1. MELERIX

MELERIX MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2011
    for me is really stable for daily usage, even using old hardware.

2. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    The first thing i do after a clean install is to burn the system in. Running all types of benchmarks. Haven't seen any latency issue on any of the pc/notebooks we have at work.
    At the moment I have a i9-9820X with 2x RTX 2080 Ti in SLI that's been running for weeks without issue.
    I've even got it installed on a dual xeon server and that's fine as well...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. slayer62

slayer62 MDL Junior Member

May 30, 2015
    I had to make a new microsoft account just to upvote it because it said my original account did not have access in the feedback app. So before you make assumptions about stuff you dont know educate yourself first xD. Considering that how many people do you think are actually going to do what I did to upvote it on something Microsoft probably doesn't even look at with how crap their q/a has been.

4. JeanYuhs

JeanYuhs MDL Member

Feb 16, 2010
    I noticed my ThinkPad W540 being uncharacteristically sluggish earlier and I have no idea why. The System process was going at a consistent ~10% for as long as I chose to watch it in Task Manager, so then I fired up Process Explorer and watched, nothing noted except that constant ~10% usage. Not sure what's going on, so I decided to shut everything down and fired up DPC Latency Checker and it's showing a consistent ~1000 µs level of latency and again, it should be less. I didn't bother checking it with 1809, but I know on this laptop with Windows 7 Pro x64 on it, the average latency was like ~300 µs. I have Wi-Fi off, using the latest drivers for every piece of hardware in this machine (Intel-based across the board, CPU, chipset, USB ports, Wi-Fi, etc, only big non-Intel hardware is the Nvidia Quadro K2100m GPU and I rarely actually use that in day to day operation, just gaming), Windows 10 Pro for Workstations fully updated.

Running LatencyMon 6.71 for about 20 minutes now, it says everything is working as expected since I rebooted but I'll leave it going and see if the same sluggish behavior returns. So far since the reboot the System process is "keeping quiet" so to speak, showing typical ~0.1% usage.

But that's another issue I just noted: been attempting to update for a few hours now and this one isn't working for whatever reason (this has nothing to do with this thread topic, of course), I suppose I'll give it a few more attempts overnight then just hope it'll work itself out:

Windows Update Failure.png

5. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. TShadow

TShadow MDL Junior Member

May 21, 2007
    #27 TShadow, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    You better lower your tone and upvote your education for yourself. I'm working professionally as a consulent with Windows since 1.0 came out, so I guess I know a liitle bit about how Windows works. Of course does MS not look at questions with only a few upvotes. You can tell if they look after something when there is an ufficial reply on a feedback question.

Besides that, nobody denies that some people and you have this bug, but it doesn't seem to affect the majority or at least they're not aware about it as they're not gamers. For most people this build is stable and running smooth, way better than the previous build.

7. cta62

cta62 MDL Member

Jul 9, 2015
    For me it was stable and smooth as well but with random hard hitting DPC Latency spikes. On my system if you asked without me looking at LatencyMon how the build was I would say it was great. Regardless the DPC spikes are real. They do affect audio buffers depending on what is going on when the spike hits. It does need to be fixed as soon as possible. This problem does affect everyone I have spoken to with 1903 and all of my PCs with different CPUs and motherboards. You just may not notice them as they don't cause anything major unless it is a hard to run game or it involves audio buffers. Posts about this issue are everywhere now so hopefully it gets fixed soon.

8. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
  9. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
  10. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Yeah for me the same last post in this Thread have a good one

11. slayer62

May 30, 2015
    2 minutes is not enough run it for like 30 to an hour just doing normal stuff and see if ntoskrnl goes kaboom with a 700+ spike. If you are one of the lucky ones who only gets a 650 to 750 ish spikes you prob wont notice it ever like how it was for me. The spikes though can be as big as 2500 which is crazy.

12. slayer62

May 30, 2015
    Any non trolls who still have 1903 can you check and see if the 175 update fixes the issue?

13. tavrez

tavrez MDL Senior Member

Sep 28, 2015
    I haven't tested anything but it's no surprise to me if this issue won't get any fix over 1903(fix may come on next feature versions)
    1809 terminal has lots of performance and ui bugs, they said it will never be fixed on 1809 itself
    they fix some kind of bugs only on next feature releases, let's hope this one is not one of them

14. slayer62

May 30, 2015
    I kinda think you are right but dont want to believe you are right if that makes sense this issue sucks

15. Squall-Leonhart

Squall-Leonhart MDL Member

Jul 23, 2009
    no it doesn't.

seems to only affect cpu's newer than haswell and amd cpu's since Fx

16. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    It seems pretty normal, for me that is. I got an audio lag by launching Latency Monitor, before it even starting monitoring.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

17. slayer62

May 30, 2015
    The audio lag before it starts is normal depending on pc load at the time of starting. The ntoskrnl spike is the 1903 gift that sadly keeps on giving :(