2 domains, 2 servers, same network

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by evox, Apr 22, 2012.

1. evox

evox MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2011
    I have WHS2011 running with "mywebsite.homerserver.com" and i want to install in a second server with the SBS2011 to host a website with "ownwebsite.com" and possible with other stuff.
    I already tried but my "ownwebsite.com" redirects to my WHS and i want to redirect homeserver.com to WHS and ownwebsite.com to SBS2011, anyone can help me?

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Decide on a single DNS on the network, it does not matter how many domains you have, but make sure this ONE DNS resolves ALL domains correctly

I do not use these lesser versions of Windows, so really do not know how they do it (to advice you on exact setup required)

sebus

3. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    Machines on your network will use your DNS to resolve addresses, but machines on the Internet will use external DNS servers. You'll have to set both your internal DNS to resolve to your internal IPs, and your domain's external DNS to resolve to your public IP(s). You will probably also have to set up different ports for the sites because usually you'll only get a single public IP. And if it's a dynamic one it also needs to be properly updated when it changes.

If it's a single network with SBS, WHS 2011 seems to be the wrong choice of OS though. The point of running SBS is to use it as a domain controller to provide centralized authentication and management of the computers joined to the domain, and you can't do that with WHS. Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials is what you would want on a domain network.

4. willko

willko MDL Member

May 14, 2008
    Good advice, as 100 points out these products overlap considerably... perhaps using SBS 2011 and Storage server essentials would be a better option?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. evox

evox MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2011
    good advices but i really want what i mencioned above and what i need to do to have everything working