2 Months Since Release - Still No Validation for 7?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by moosh101, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Monotremata

Monotremata MDL Novice

Oct 14, 2009
    Maybe M$ is waiting to see all the workarounds MDL can come up with before finalizing it?? :D

2. pkaji123

pkaji123 MDL Addicted

Aug 22, 2009
    Yeh That's What I thought Too....
    [off-topic]
    Sorry for the long days,I was went to a camp for 15 days to forest areas,I felt really hard to miss the MDL for 15 d's,Now I am Back searching for the New things that occured btw these d's...

3. Dissonance

Dissonance MDL Junior Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I think if they wanted they could release basic validation right now, but I think they're delaying for 2 reasons:
    1- to improve the effectiveness and
    2- they WANT as many people using Windows 7 as possible, including pirates.

So far Win 7 has been getting good reviews and the general consensus is that it's much better than vista. Why not get as many people hooked on it as you can before you force them to pay?
    If they yank windows 7 tomorrow, a big chunk of people will say "oh well" and go back to whatever system they were using before. If they yank it after we've dug in and have everything installed/tuned the way we like it, then people will be more likely to pay for a key.

My 2 cents.

4. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    who gives a s**t if it is released or not. If the OS is activated with SLIC BIOS and SLP key then you don't have to worry. If you are using a loader well then sucks to be you.

5. pezzonovante

pezzonovante MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Why? Vista Loaders always worked for me. Daz's loader and 7Loader should be fine too.

6. pkaji123

pkaji123 MDL Addicted

Aug 22, 2009
    But some are facing problems with 7Loader still,If U Install Malicious Software Removal Tool,U Notice some prob's..

Daz's Loader is working fine...

I am sure Till SP1

7. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    #27 sebus, Dec 31, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
    Do not want to be pessimistic, but it would be no problem for M$ to compile a database of all known minimum version BIOS's from OEM manufacturers that had SLIC 2.1 originally. Just like the whitelist of keys

So the WAT bit would connect to M$ servers & quickly check

Hewlett-Packard 68YTT Ver. F.0E SLIC 2.0

And assuming somebody modded this BIOS to 2.1 (in this case by hardware programmer only) & have the correct SLP key & certificate installed then it is "Non-Genuine"

If there is no code in original W7 RTM to do it then it could be added in ie SP1

sebus

8. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    But this problem can be bypassed. We would need to adjust the bios vendor info like version, date and such. Although this method is completely useless if m$ creates a backup of ur bios and hash-checks it with the original.:(

9. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    But it would not be Vendor issue only, it would be BIOS version issue, and that is not easy to change (if at all without any consequences)

So ie. Asus M3N18L-ASUS-T-M3N8200-1101.ROM modified with Asus SLIC (so the vendor matches) would not pass WAT as this BIOS had only SLIC 2.0 by default (not even a need to hash compare)

So it is possible if only M$ wanted it to happen

sebus

10. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    HA HA HA HA ! Me too

And so the debate continues.............

Personally, ive had a vista loader running on the kids machine for ages now. Vista sp2 killed it and i simply removed said loader , re-installed it and oila....genuine windows again !

Win7 on my machine is activated by a bios mod and yeah i know that if M$ really wanted to they could probably de-activate my install. Will they ? I dont know and i dont care becvause lets face it guys , there is enough expertise in and around the forums such as MDL that there will always be a workaround. Thats if it even gets to that point. I mean fair enough M$ can check your product key etc, but do they have the right to probe users computers at the Bios level. Apart from the Slic table bios really doesnt have much to do with windows and certainly isnt made by M$. So surely they should not be poking around in there ? :eek: :rolleyes: :eek: :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Of course i cannot vouch for all the BIOSes out there, but in my Award WorkstationBIOS v6.00PG the releasedate and version values seem to only occur in the MAIN module...namely as clear-text strings that could be easily edited with any hex editor.

So if i did my homework right then that part should be very easy to 'fix'. If Andys tool would allow for the modules to be altered before repacking i would even try it just to see if it works. Because im almost positive that it would...

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Like they care.

Did you ever read the Vista or 7 EULA?

If not then by all means do so...this should tell you all that you need to know about Microsofts attitude toward things like privacy etcetera.

Dont forget: You dont own the OS, Microsoft generously lets you USE it...

13. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Of course, then there is also MSDN (AA or normal), Technet, KMS, MAK keys, new computer, Mac OS X...

So the choices are wast

sebus

14. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    #34 alextheg, Dec 31, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
    Yes ive had a look at the EULA and i take your point. They own the operating system.......even though i / we paid for it :rolleyes:. They dont own bios. :D:D

15. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
  16. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009