200MB 'System Reserved' partition

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Alexander01, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Alexander01

Alexander01 MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2009
    Are there people here that have a 200MB 'System Reserved' partition? I thought it always create a 100MB partition? Under what conditions it creates a 200MB partition?

2. mengchanchai

mengchanchai MDL Junior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    System Reserved partition
    100 MB in Windows 7 RTM Installation
    200 MB in Windows 7 Beta or RC Installation

3. drably

drably MDL Member

Feb 4, 2008
    you can install it without this stupid partition
    At the first setup screen (Language, Keyboard, etc.) press SHIFT+F10 to open command prompt.
    Type the following:

- Diskpart
    - List disk
    (this command is important. It will show you what disk drives you have. Most likely your hard drive will be will be Disk 0,
    but you need to check it first.)

- select disk 0
    - clean
    - create partition primary size=102400
    (make this number any size you want, the example used creates a partition 100GB in size. If you want to use the whole hard drive, just leave off the size=number)

- select partition 1
    - active
    - format fs=ntfs

then proceed with setup as normal :)

4. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    if you install over a public beta without deleting the partitions
    youll end up with the 200mb reserved partition.

" [0-9][ 0-9] [^Aa-Zz][^Aa-Zz] ...........* *NTFS *.......... *[12]00 M. "

[12]00 M

the 1 and 2 inside brackets means the partition size could be 100 MB OR 200 MB

5. Pikey

Pikey MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2009
    As far as I know, you only get one of these hidden partitions if you install to a drive that is either un-formatted or has some un-allocated space on it already.

So at install, just use the available 'Format' command (2nd or 3rd screen in?) to format your whole drive at the start, you won't get this partition.

I install to the 1st partition of a drive already formatted to 4 partitions, so I never get it!

I'm no expert though and could well be mistaken , and your mileage may vary of course!

My 1st post by the way on this excellent forum!! .. :D

6. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    the partition size is 100mb in windows 7 RTM, prior to RTM it was 200. It creates a partition if you allow windows to format the drive (install it on unallocated space) My Loaders are hardcoded to 100M as opposed to the 100-200 variable in unternmensch's.

Not sure why I am answering you (Alexander01) after you were so rude to me, I guess others need to know too.