[2017] Linux Desktop Hasn’t Jumped in Popularity

Discussion in 'Linux' started by CHEF-KOCH, Nov 8, 2017.

?

What's holding you back from using Linux?

Poll closed Nov 22, 2017.
  1. Gaming

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. To hell with Windows or Linux - I'm on OS X!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Other reasons

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  4. What is real?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other reasons

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    You can find dozens of apps on most platforms, but you only need one good working one. On Windows you're taking a risk by searching the net for apps. Everything else is more secure than Windows unless you choose to use the 10 store which is limited.
    Also where are the RTS on consoles? PC gaming is much cheaper unless you mod the console and steal the games.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    Never ever had a security issue in Windows 7-10, picked up a few viruses up to and including XP.
    PC games are cheaper but they are as buggy as hell and the developers don't give a toss because its just pocket money, the real earners are the consoles.

3. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    :eek: what games you been playing ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    I gave up around Crysis 2. I played PC games from the first Doom, they were written for a desktop PC then, consoles have ruined PC games. I bought a PS3 as they were going out and picked up a pile of games from eBay for £5 each, its not the same but Windows runs better for not gaming with it.

5. GreyHatGuy

GreyHatGuy MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2016
    SHHHHHHHHHHH, hush that noise up. Dont give those greedy bastards any more ideas ;)

Regarding the poll, I'll be back once I take the plunge.........
    Preparing to take the plunge.........
    Entering Standby..................
    Im scared..............
    Help.........

6. kgtuning

kgtuning MDL Member

Aug 26, 2015
    Honestly, its tough. I love linux on my laptop but windows works better for me on my gaming computer.

7. GreyHatGuy

GreyHatGuy MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2016
    Yea, that is something else that I've been thinking about. Pretty much every linux distro is designed to be lightweight, and uses maybe 1/4 of the resources that windows uses.

With that being said, and with the idea of these os's can be ran pretty well on some of the oldest laptops (single & dual cores with only 1-3gb of ram),
    I often wonder about how much OVERKILL it will be to run these linux's on my systems, i7-6800 & Ryzen 1700, each with 32gb of 3000ghz ram.

So Im thinking....I could run about 4 of them (simultaneously) with 2 cores each, 4gb of ram each, on either one of my SSD's in VM's, and they should still fly like rockets blasting off
    And if they stutter in the slightest sense, run them on the M2 960, and they should fly like "saucers", right?

8. kgtuning

kgtuning MDL Member

Aug 26, 2015
    Lol my laptop (older Asus with a dual core and 4gb ram) runs any distro great. I've run Arch xfce, Fedora gnome and xfce, mint, ghost Bsd and currently running Manjaro xfce. My gaming rig is X99 5820K@4.5ghz 2x gtx970s and 16gb 2666mhz gskill ram. That machine has win10 and Arch. Arch flies and it rarely stresses the machine. You definitely could run a few vm.. it say the least.